Manhattan Skyline On A Wedding Cake

Decorating By argentina Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 1:34am by indydebi

argentina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argentina Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,I need to make a wedding cake for a customer with the manhattan skyline going around one of the tiers.I am thinking that maybe I can use a picture and scan it on edible wafers and paste it to fondant.I have not found any cakes online with the design.(one but it was childish).Any ideas? cake is for may.

9 replies
sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 10

I found these online. It looks like they printed a template, then traced it onto gumpaste and/or fondant, cut it and then decorated with RI.
I hope this helps icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know how to do it but, indydeb has a very cool skyline cake on her website, maybe you could ask/pm her. Good luck!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 10

here is my ny skyline cake
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 10

Sweetsbyl -- that 2nd photo you posted is sooo awesome! I'm getting ready to do a skyline too and so this thread is so helpful!

Thanks for sharing everyone!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsbyl

I found these online. It looks like they printed a template, then traced it onto gumpaste and/or fondant, cut it and then decorated with RI.

I was wondering if those were silver draggees? It kind of looks like draggees..but then it looks like royal icing too. Just wondering.
LL

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsbyl

I was wondering if those were silver draggees? It kind of looks like draggees..but then it looks like royal icing too. Just wondering.

Yes, you're right! They do look like sliver draggees.

I found these pictures on yahoo and there are some more on google. I typed, skyline cakes, and then clicked on images.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionaryperfection

here is my ny skyline cake

That is an AWESOME cake!!!

My City Skyline cake was designed with lots of help from my bride. She was an engineer and made me a template on her CAD equipment. She had very specific ideas, such as the skyline on the satellite cakes would NOT be taller than the cake but the skyline on the tiered cake MUST extend taller than the cake.

I melted chocolate (just used the wilton disks) and poured it into one of my 18x26 baking sheets. The hard part was deciding when it was hard enough to cut with an exacto knife yet soft enough that it wouldn't crack or break when it was cut. I actually had to cut them out in mirror image (turn the paper templates face down on the choc) so the smooth part of the cut out piece (the side "facing" the baking sheet) would be what was exposed to the guests on the cake ... aka the front of hte building.

I attached the pieces (one long piece per side of cake) with buttercream icing as the glue. Be sure to wear food safety gloves because (food safety reasons aside), it helps insulate the heat from your hands when you place the chocolate on the cake. My practice runs, I didn't wear the gloves and I had fingerprints on the choc where it melted just in the short span from the counter to the cake.

If the corners didn't quite meet, I just piped in some choc icing then ran my finger down the corner to smooth it out ... just like caulking windows!

It took me over 4 hours JUST to cut out the buildings out of chocolate.

argentina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argentina Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much to everyone that posted pictures and ideas! the bride sent me some of her own and with everthing i am seeing i am sure to come up with something great! ( by te way, she sent the picture from indideby amongst others icon_smile.gif ) i'll be sure to post my picture in may.first time i take advantage of this site and i am loving it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by argentina

by te way, she sent the picture from indideby amongst others icon_smile.gif

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of one of my pics being sent as a "can we make this cake?" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif That just made my day!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%