Whatt Ype Of Vodka???

Decorating By how-sweet-it-is Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm by luv_to_decorate

how-sweet-it-is Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 8

i would like to know whatt type of vodka to use for painting with luster/pearl dust ? also, how to apply dusts to fondant w/o it falling off and w/o using shortening? thank u a always.

7 replies
londonpeach Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, when i dust my fondant cakes I just use a dusting brush and dust straight onto the fondant, it doesn't need anything to get it to stick.

I don't use vodka a lot on my cakes but when i do (whic is usually when painting dust colours onto cake) i just use what is in the cupboard.

Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 8

I keep a mini bottle of Smirnoff (aka the cheap stuff) in my decorating kit. I'm not about to use my good, expensive Vodka on a cake! icon_smile.gif

As for brushing the dry dust on the cake, what the PP ^^^^ said was right on the money! Oh, and you don't have to spend lots of $$$ to get a fancy brush. Any craft/paint brush that has never been used before is fine (I always run them through the dishwasher once before using them for food, just to get any mfg residue off). A basting brush will work as well.

MacsMom Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 8

For large areas I dry brush with a foam brush. For detail work I use the cheapest vodka I can find and a good paintbrush.

how-sweet-it-is Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:42am
post #5 of 8

rockysmommy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

I just bought an airbrush,,,and wanted to know what to use when spraying lustre dust...so vodka it is...THANKS!

milissasmom Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 8

I use Everclear for it's high alcohol content so it dries very quick and true to color. I don't drink so I don't have any GOOD stuff or Bad stuff to use...lol...I just buy a small bottle and it lasts me forever. Good luck

luv_to_decorate Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 8

I use clear vanilla to mix my dry dust and use for painting. In a class I took where we did painting on fondant, they supplied us with everclear. It is cheap and it evaporates quickly. The vanilla takes a little longer to dry but I usually don't have any clear alcohol in my house. Or any other type either. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%