Recipes: Beyond The Comfort Zone

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm by Melvira

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, Last summer I started pushing myself to try different additions to my yellow cake recipe, like, ahem, citrus zest icon_biggrin.gif Pretty tame but this year, thanks to sayhellojana, I've started in on the Hershey cake recipe. I subbed out the water at the end for hazelnut coffee and that was tasty, then a couple days ago I tried caramel nut coffee and subbed 1/2 of the milk for sour cream. WHOA!! What in the world was I waiting for? I have also replaced most of the powdered sugar in my pb bc recipe with marshmallow fluff, *eyes roll back in the head* that was delicious!! I like how light the bc turns out, granted it is different to work with than regular bc but the taste....wow, worth it!
Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting suggestions and encouraging the rest of us to try new things!! Love you guys!

5 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

Oh man... that sounds awesome!! YUM!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 6

I love that there is such a variety of flavored coffee creamers!

I also use melted ice-cream and juice.

And I use flavored yogurts in place of sourcream

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 6

How was the marshmallow bc? Was it a lot softer than regular bc?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 6

It IS softer but still workable. I've made 2 cakes with it so far:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309159
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313060

The 'crewel' one I had added too much liquid so the last one I made I adjusted and it was better, still soft but definitely something I could make flowers with. If anyone is interested, here's the recipe. I plan on posting it but I wanted to make a video for it first icon_biggrin.gif

1/2 c. softened salted butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. creamy peanut butter
16 oz. marshmallow fluff
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 c. powdered sugar
3-5 tbs. half and half

Cream together butter and shortening first, add the pb, and cream that in. Add the fluff and vanilla and blend thoroughly. Slowly add the powdered sugar *to taste*, once it's the right amount of sweetness add in the half and half until the frosting looks smoother.

This won't look like regular bc, it tends to stay kind of sticky looking but it does crust over after about 7-10 minutes.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 6

I'm sorry, but that sounds goo-ood!! Thanks for posting it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%