1St Time With Fondant -- How Long Will It Last In The Fridge

Decorating By alliekat75 Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 1:07am by sandy e

alliekat75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliekat75 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 11

Hi ladies,
This is my first time using fondant. I've rolled it & used the circle cutters to cut out cute polka dots. I'm practicing for my daughter's first birthday cake in March.

How long will it in an airtight container in the fridge? Also, how do I get the cornstarch off? How do I "glue" it onto the cake?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks for your help. You are all so helpful.

Allison

10 replies
ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 11

You want to be careful with putting fondant in the frig. The humidity will cause the fondant to sweat. Since fondant is sugar, it will in return begin to melt - not a good thing!! Your fondant should be OK in an air tight container, maybe even placing a piece of saran wrap over, at room temperature.
Also, to adhere fondant to BC or fondant, just lightly tab water or vanilla extract to the back of the piece to act as a 'glue.' I always use water and it works like a charm!!
I'm sure there are tons of forums talking about fondant here on CC.
Best wishes... and let me know if you have any other questions!!
~ Jaime

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 11

Don't put it in the fridge. Fondant doesn't like moisture. All you need to do is keep it in an air tight container. I will last for at least 6 months, or until it gets hard. To glue fondant to fondant, all you need is water. If your trying to get fondant to stick to BC, cut dab it with a little BC. Good luck

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 11

I make MMF in batches. I completely wrap in saran wrap and then put in a big freezer type baggie. It stays for weeks in the fridge.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 11

Cold fondant and warm air will make the fondant sweat. Give the cake a bit of time and all the moisture will reabsorb. (If you're in a hurry, use a hairdryer, on no heat and blow dry the cake.) I put all my cakes in the refrigerator, the only time sweating is a problem is during summer. MMF will last, in an air tight container, for weeks, maybe months. Regular fondant is kept, again in an air tight container, for months...unless you make it with milk and butter, then a couple of weeks in the refrigerator is about as long as I'd go. Commercial fondant lasts for some months. I don't know how long a vender can hold a tub of fondant and call it "fresh". Use lemon extract or vodka to adher your decorations. The idea is to get the "glue" to dry quickly. Vodka leaves no flavor or alcohol, lemon extract will leave a hint of flavor.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 11

I am with everyone else.
I do not put my MMF/fondant in the frig. The moisture makes it hard to handle then when you put it on the cake the colors will run.

I just wrap mine in saran wrap and use airtight containers to store it. I also have a rubbermaid tub that I keep my MMF in. It has nothing but MMF in it. All different colors. Works great for last minute cakes that come up. Saves me from having to make MMF at the last minute.

I personally don't use cornstarch to work with my MMF. I hated the after effects of the cornstarch that is hard to get off. I work with shortening with my MMF. Works much better and gives things a shine too. Plus depending on whether you use MMF or store bought fondant will make a difference too. I have found that MMF tastes better too. I get more satisfaction out of seeing people actually eat the outer layer of my cakes. When I used store bought fondant people would eat everything but the outer layer which is where all the time I spent was. It made me feel kind of like a failure when they left the part that I thought was the best. So you might think about making the MMF if you aren't already.

Don't apologize for asking questions!! We were all new once and needed help!

Good luck!
kristin

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 11

If you are just wanting to store shapes and figurines (I don't actually suggest storing cut-out shapes it because they harden), then they should be in a cardboard box at room temp.

But a fondant covered cake can go in the fridge without issues. You just have to take it out 2 to 4 hours before serving to let the condensation dry. Every single one of my cakes goes into the fridge.

I store my leftover fondant in the freezer, wrapped very well.

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 11

I am making fondant covered rice krispy figures. How do you recommend I store these and how long will they last? I have never used rice krispies to make figures, so any pointers on that?

Thanks in advance.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 11

For RKT figures, I crush up the RK's a bit before pouring into the melted marshmallows.

I omit the butter because it makes the figures too soft to hold their shape, but I do add a teaspoon of butter flavoring just in case someone eats it.

Really smoosh the RKTs together as hard as you can to make your figure nice and firm. I usually then place mine in the freezer to harden it faster.

You don't have to cover it with any type of crumbcoat, just make sure the fondant isn't rolled too thin. The purpose of crushing the RKs is to make the finished figure less bumpy.

I made my spider man figure with this method.
LL

ladystar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladystar Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:24am
post #10 of 11

Abarely read all this about fondant that it is not good to have the fondant in refrijerador :( my question is my fondant has six weeks in the refrijerador and I have to make a cake the fondant ig good or is it better to make new fondant?

sandy e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy e Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:07am
post #11 of 11

Anyone have good recipe for Fondant. please.

Thanks Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%