Walmart's Whipped Frosting

Baking By Walls1971 Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 7:53pm by jason_kraft

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 28

I have a customer who specifically requested frosting just like what Walmart uses (their 'whipped' frosting). My business is very small and I typically use IMBC on all my orders, but she is firm that this is what she wants. I've called Walmart trying to get an idea of what it is, but they were really no help. I can buy the frosting at Sam's, but it's in a 5 gallon bucket - WAY too much for just one order. Does anyone have a recipe that is very similar to the whipping frosting at Walmart/Sam's?

27 replies
cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 28

does anyone know the shelf life of IMBC? I am nervous to use this as my buttercream recipe for all my cakes because i can't find information on the keeping of this great frosting. How long can a cake sit out with IMBC and how do you store it if you make in large quantities?

Walls1971 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 28

I freeze my extra and then bring it to room temp and rewhip. It can sit out for a couple days, I believe. It's not one that has to be refrigerated at all times.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 28

I have not heard of any recipe that comes close to the Rich's Bettercreme (the whipped icing that wal-mart uses) However I have heard that there is a liquid Rich's Bettercreme so you can whip up just what you need to use.

If you do decide to purchase the large bucket though you can take out a small amount that you want to use and freeze the rest. It is good in the freezer for a long time (I am thinking at least a year if not more - but it has been awhile since I have looked into it)

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 28

I was curious to see if anyone might have this posted someplace and did a search and found this website. I hope it is ok to post here. Here is the link that shows the recipe someone posted: http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/129545.aspx

Walmart's Whipped Buttercream Icing

2 cups butter
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Place butter in mixing bowl, add 2 cups powdered sugar; mix at low speed to obtain smooth paste. Whip at medium speed, adding the condensed milk until light and fluffy.

Using a very clean bowl and beater, whip the egg whites until stiff while adding the 1/2 cup powdered sugar slowly. Mix this slowly into the above butter mixture. Add vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar. This last amount of powdered sugar can be doubled if stiffer icing is desired.

Walls1971 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 28

Thank you so much for the information everyone! I'm definitely going to try the recipe. . . maybe I'll let the client do a taste test before her event. Then if she doesn't like it, I'll go ahead and buy the bucket. It's good to know that it will last a long time in the freezer. . . because I'd hate to have to buy that much and only use enough for her cake icon_eek.gif

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

sharridee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharridee Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #7 of 28

I worked at wal_mart for 8 months and the whipped they use is rich bettercream, it comes in frozen in buckets 1 gallon or 3 gallon. and its already colored. I use the liquid bettercream from Gordon food service, Its frozen in quart cartons and thaws very fast, I buy it buy the case and keep frozen until I need it. I love to use this, its a non dairy so it can sit out with no worries. and it so smooth to work with, I just got a wedding cake order this week for whipped, the bride liked it because its not so sweet, good luck and post your pics

paxpuella Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharridee

I worked at wal_mart for 8 months and the whipped they use is rich bettercream, it comes in frozen in buckets 1 gallon or 3 gallon. and its already colored. I use the liquid bettercream from Gordon food service, Its frozen in quart cartons and thaws very fast, I buy it buy the case and keep frozen until I need it. I love to use this, its a non dairy so it can sit out with no worries. and it so smooth to work with, I just got a wedding cake order this week for whipped, the bride liked it because its not so sweet, good luck and post your pics

Do you have to be a member of the Gordon food service store to shop there? I noticed that there is a store in the town about 45 minutes from here but have never been in it. Also, do you mind if I ask how much the liquid bettercreme is there?

Thanks!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of 28

Honestly, I make really good cakes. My cakes are made from scratch using premium ingredients. I am not going to lower my standards trying to emulate Walmart. If a Walmart cake is what they want, they can go to Walmart to get it.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:38am
post #10 of 28

Thanks paxpuella that recipe sounds so good. Have you tried it?

paxpuella Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:47am
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Thanks paxpuella that recipe sounds so good. Have you tried it?

No, I'm sorry I haven't. I should have put that in my first post. One of the grocery stores that used to be in town here years ago used to sell their whipped frosting in quart containers and sometimes my brother would buy some lol. I used to think it tasted so good and wouldn't think anything about just sitting down with a spoon and diving in icon_biggrin.gif .

sharridee Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 28

You don't have to be a member at gordon foods service,If you are friendly with your local grocery store and they get Gordon deliverys, you may ask if they could order you some.

the case here in Indiana is 12 per case $ 45.00 a case they are 32oz cartons ( 2pounds) of liquid and it also comes in choc. too. the vanilla you add nothing and just whipp it up. I love it. I know this sounds expensive but one does a 12x18 sheet cake with all the borders and some to spare. I hope this helps

paxpuella Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharridee

You don't have to be a member at gordon foods service,If you are friendly with your local grocery store and they get Gordon deliverys, you may ask if they could order you some.

the case here in Indiana is 12 per case $ 45.00 a case they are 32oz cartons ( 2pounds) of liquid and it also comes in choc. too. the vanilla you add nothing and just whipp it up. I love it. I know this sounds expensive but one does a 12x18 sheet cake with all the borders and some to spare. I hope this helps

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to drop in there next time we are over there and check everything out that they have icon_smile.gif

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 28

So at Gordons What is the brand or what is it called

sharridee Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 28

Its called Rich's bettercream.

gigglestoledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigglestoledo Posted 12 Oct 2012 , 3:12am
post #16 of 28

the case here in Indiana is 12 per case $ 45.00 a case they are 32oz cartons ( 2pounds) of liquid and it also comes in choc. too. the vanilla you add nothing and just whipp it up. I love it. I know this sounds expensive but one does a 12x18 sheet cake with all the borders and some to spare.

You use a whole case for a sheet cake or a whole quart? Thanks I'm totally confused!

C4ssandraa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C4ssandraa Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:42am
post #17 of 28

I Never have tried a walmart cake. But at Smart n Final they have Pastry Pride which is a whipped topping. I also remembering seeing rich's bettercreme.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 2:37am
post #18 of 28

I'm wondering why this client doesn't get a Walmart cake, if that's the taste she wants. Frankly, one time I tasted a Walmart cupcake. Took one bite, spit it out, and threw out the rest. It tasted like cardboard-y chemicals. No, DRY cardboard-y chemicals. I'd never want to try to duplicate that!

irishgrl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishgrl77 Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 6:31am
post #19 of 28

I get as much or as little frosting as I want from my local supermarket bakery. A woman was checking out, and she had 2 lbs of frosting from the bakery. She said some supermarket's will let you purchase their frosting by the lb. They charged me $5 for 2lbs. So, you may want to give that a try...Walmart say's no, so don't even bother with them.

steveproxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steveproxy Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 6:19pm
post #20 of 28

Thank you so much for the information everyone! I'm definitely going to try the recipe. . . maybe I'll let the client do a taste test before her event. Then if she doesn't like it, I'll go ahead and buy the bucket.

steveproxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steveproxy Posted 22 Oct 2012 , 6:20pm
post #21 of 28

Thank you so much for the information everyone! I'm definitely going to try the recipe. . . maybe I'll let the client do a taste test before her event.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 28

The recipe posted is for their bUttercream not bEttercream. There is a big difference. The whipped topping which they use is called bEttercream and it is made from oils which are whipped up to resemble whipped cream. They use a lot of additives, preservatives and emulsifiers. There is no way you could duplicate their recipe at home.
You can buy the mix to whip yourself. You can get it in both quart and gallon sizes. It is a liquid and you just whip it. It is sold under the names of Rich's Bettercream and also Pastry Pride. It can be purchased at restaurant supply stores. Some of the WalMart stores carry it and I think Costco does. Also most of the bakeries will sell you some but you have to ask them...they don't put it out for sale. In California you can buy it at, "Smart and Final".

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 6:06pm
post #23 of 28

The recipe posted is for their bUttercream not bEttercream. There is a big difference. The whipped topping which they use is called bEttercream and it is made from oils which are whipped up to resemble whipped cream. They use a lot of additives, preservatives and emulsifiers. There is no way you could duplicate their recipe at home.
You can buy the mix to whip yourself. You can get it in both quart and gallon sizes. It is a liquid and you just whip it. It is sold under the names of Rich's Bettercream and also Pastry Pride. It can be purchased at restaurant supply stores. Some of the WalMart stores carry it and I think Costco does. Also most of the bakeries will sell you some but you have to ask them...they don't put it out for sale. In California you can buy it at, "Smart and Final".

irishgrl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishgrl77 Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 7:15pm
post #24 of 28

Walmart won't do this, but my local grocery store here in Vegas sells the icing from the bakery. A cake decorator told me about it. I just ask ahead of time, if the bakery will sell the icing by itself, and some will, some won't. I got 2 lbs of frosting for $5. So, it's worth a try, and saves a ton of time.

Rhonda9785 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda9785 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 8:04pm
post #25 of 28

AThis recipe taste nothing like walmart's icing. It tastes like pure butter. I was so disappointed I wasted my time and the ingredients.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 6:29pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella 

I was curious to see if anyone might have this posted someplace and did a search and found this website. I hope it is ok to post here. Here is the link that shows the recipe someone posted: http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/129545.aspx

Walmart's Whipped Buttercream Icing

2 cups butter
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Place butter in mixing bowl, add 2 cups powdered sugar; mix at low speed to obtain smooth paste. Whip at medium speed, adding the condensed milk until light and fluffy.

Using a very clean bowl and beater, whip the egg whites until stiff while adding the 1/2 cup powdered sugar slowly. Mix this slowly into the above butter mixture. Add vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar. This last amount of powdered sugar can be doubled if stiffer icing is desired.

I'm sorry, I seriously doubt this is WalMart's recipe because the raw egg whites make it to require refrigeration.

Not to mention, that WalMart would never use butter where they can use cheap oil or shortening...

mspat555 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mspat555 Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:42pm
post #27 of 28

you are correct Walmart does not have a specific recipe, they also get it in the 5 gal buckets and freeze, I buy it from them all the time, Riches bettercream, walmart DOES NOT make their own icing, been working here for 8 years,

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 7:53pm
post #28 of 28

A

Original message sent by mspat555

you are correct Walmart does not have a specific recipe, they also get it in the 5 gal buckets and freeze, I buy it from them all the time, Riches bettercream, walmart DOES NOT make their own icing, been working here for 8 years,

I was curious so I looked it up. It contains mostly sugar, shortening, water, and corn syrup, and it stays good for 7 months at room temp.

http://richsfoodservice.com/products/desserts/toppings-icings-fillings-finishers/buttrcreme-cake-icings/country-white-buttrcreme-icing/03876

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%