Hdi: Cascading Flowers

Decorating By keyshia Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm by BakingGirl

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Cakies (like trekkies, but cooler?!)

I had a question for you all. My friend is getting married and I'm doing her cake for her. Since I have to travel (2000+ miles) to do it, I'm trying to get my thought process down now. The cake that I'd like to make for her will be square white fondant with plumeria flowers cascading down the sides (down and around). It will have a crystal border. My question is..with the flowers, how would I do that? would I need to make them (gumpaste) and put them on florist wire or would I just make them and then attach with royal icing underneath? Of course I want this to be perfect, so can you also tell me the best way to make the flowers in advance, and take them with me?! I figured I'd carry them on the plane with me, but how do I package them for the least amt of breakage? I'm planning to make a ton of extras just in case there is drama, but want to avoid as much breakage as possible. I'd like some extras to put on the cake table.

Thanks in advance...

Keyshia

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 8

Oh my, you are brave. I'd check with your local UPS or FedEx store. They *might* be able to help package the flowers and cake and supplies and ship them (which would be easier than dealing with them on the plane). You should be able to attach the flowers to the cake with RI. If you decide to use the floral wire, make sure you wrap the part that will be going into the cake in food-safe foil or plastic wrap first.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 8

I am one that at all costs, if any way possible, I do NOT use wires.
I would attach w/royal. I agree making them ahead would be ideal. And FedExing them is a good idea.

keyshia Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 8

Thanks ladies, I thought due to the type of flower (and how it looks on the bottom) that I coudl just put a drop of RI and have them stay put. I still like the idea of taking the flowers on the plane with me...I was hoping to make like 60-100...maybe I can take soem and ship some, then that way I'm sure to at least get SOME there w/o breakage, or minimal breakage! icon_smile.gif Tried looking to see how much it would cost to ship the cake overnight, with dry ice...um yeah, it's $150! Ugh. So I'm trying to go back to the drawing board on that one! icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 8

You might have trouble taking wired flowers through airport security, so perhaps better not use wire if you can manage.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 8

Why the dry ice? (I'm assuming you'd ship the UNICED cake and then assemble/ice/decorate once you get there.)

keyshia Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #7 of 8

Haha...didn't think about the wire! Yes, I guess its' best to try to leave the wire out. That was my first thought was to leave it out anyway, but now it's even moreso!

I thought it might be sturdier if I shipped the cake frozen...so I thought if I froze it and then put it on ice, it would keep it hard and hopefully prevent it from breaking. I'm going to arrive a couple days before the wedding, so if I HAVE to, I can rebake, but I'd rather not. I'd rather get there and have cakes that are already baked and ready to ice! Do you think they'd be fine if I shipped frozen but w/o the ice?

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

If you want the cake to arrive frozen you need the dry ice for sure. Cakes defrost quickly.

After having attended decorating courses I have taken my dummy cakes home with me. I have to say I would not recommend it, they do not travel well. There was varying degree of damage, from unrecognizable to just a bit bashed up. Of course these are decorated dummies so maybe a frozen un-iced cake would do better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%