What Pans To Use

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm by kakedecorator

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 2

As a newbie, I am curious what size and brand of cake pans you use most. I guess this is directed more to those who bake for fun, not profit. Those of you who sell cakes, I imagine would have a wide variety of sizes and professional grade pans. Of course, what do I know? I have been making american buttercream for a few years and never knew it was actual buttercream until I listed the ingredients here and asked what you would call it!

Anyway, I am trying to get a few sizes of cake pans so that I can make cakes from time to time and was curious what sizes I would use the most. Also, I have noticed that cake pans are differnt depths and odd sizes (odd meaning not listed on a box icon_smile.gif). How do you know how long to bake a cake? I know for larger ones you are supposed to use that cone thing but say I wanted to make a six inch cake, how will I know when it is done? Is there a chart somewhere or a cake bible that tells you everything you want to know? I would like to try baking from a scratch recipe so that I know what is going into the recipe, but don't quite have the confidence that I can make something with both good flavor and texture. That is another thread at a later date, I think!

1 reply
kakedecorator Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 2

This site might answer some of your questions. And any Wilton yearbook has a list of baking times for different sizes/shapes of pans and how much batter per pan size and how many cups of icing to decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%