What Is Foam Core And Where Do I Get It?

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm by Cakepro

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

I have read that a lot of you use foam core instead of the cardboard cake boards? Am I reading that correctly? What are they and where can I find them?

4 replies
calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 5

It a much thicker and sturdier board. You can find it at any craft store. Walmart carries it next to the crayola stuff.

HTH

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 5

A piggyback question, do you use the foamcore in place of a cake board, or just in place of the cardboard rounds?

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 5

When I do stacked cakes I use foam core, based on Sugar Shack's DVD, Successful Stacking. I have started using it in addition to my normal cake boards that I use for presentation so I have nice and sturdy foundations on my cakes. I get my foam core at Micheal's with my 50% coupon since here they are $5.99 for each one.

After you cut, just make sure you wipe it down well, or you can cover it with plastic wrap.

HTH, Sandi

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 5

I use foamcore board exclusively. No more weak cake circles for me! I use 3/16" foamcore for all cake circles and 1/2" for cake boards. I simply trace a cake pan to get the size I want and cut with a hot knife - available in the woodworking section of Michael's store for about $16. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%