2 Questions??

Lounge By spencersmom98 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm by spencersmom98

spencersmom98 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 10

I am bringing the cake to our Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet. Since our theme is "family," I am going to do a couch with a fondant family sitting on it. I was thinking of using a 1/4 sheet, a 10" round and an 8" round for the couch. Not really a lot of carving down in this couch, just cutting and stacking. Do you guys think these cakes will feed 50 people, or do I need to go up on the sizes?
My second question is not cake related at all! lol Every scout's family has to bring 2 dishes to the banquet. One potato related, and the other just a general veggie dish. Since I will be working on the cake and the fondant family I want something fast and easy, and I am looking for suggestions. Can any of you wonderful ladies help me out?

9 replies
Shelle_75 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 10

Hi there! I'm also doing the cake for our Blue & Gold!

First, I have no idea on the serving sizes. I am no good at that. Sorry.

As for the veggies, let me tell you... A couple of months ago there was a potluck at our church. I let my 7-yr-old pick what veggie we would bring. He said, "Carrots!" So, that's what I made. Three bags of the crinkle cut frozen carrots, kept hot in my crock pot. The kids loved it. It was like they were thrilled someone brought a simple vegetable they could all recognize, instead of the fancy-schmancy green bean casserole, etc. that the adults all liked. So that's my suggestion. Bring a simple, one-ingredient veggie dish that the younger Cubs will recognize and eat.

And thanks for supporting Scouts!

Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 10

It really depends on who's cutting the cake. LOL! Separate, that's plenty of cake. Will the 1/4 sheet be left whole and then the other 2 cakes are the couch? If so, you should have enough, but again depends on how much you carve off the rounds.

A simple and tasty potato dish is make simple mashed potatoes (I use real potatoes but you could use instant) Enough to fill a 9 x 13 baking dish (approx 5 lbs. fresh). To the hot, cooked and drained potatoes add 1 8oz cream cheese, and 1 16oz sour cream, and 1 stick butter or margarine. Whip up in your KA. Spoon into the baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. (You can sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and add some cheese to the inside of the mixture also for cheesy baked mashed potatoes) The kids LOVE these, they are very creamy and yummy!

Shelle_75 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

A simple and tasty potato dish is make simple mashed potatoes (I use real potatoes but you could use instant) Enough to fill a 9 x 13 baking dish (approx 5 lbs. fresh). To the hot, cooked and drained potatoes add 1 8oz cream cheese, and 1 16oz sour cream, and 1 stick butter or margarine. Whip up in your KA. Spoon into the baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. (You can sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and add some cheese to the inside of the mixture also for cheesy baked mashed potatoes) The kids LOVE these, they are very creamy and yummy!

That sounds AWESOME!

spencersmom98 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 10

I am cutting the 1/4 sheet length wize & stacking on top of each other, for the bottom and cushions of the couch. I am taking the 10" round and cutting in half and stacking those against each other for the back of the couch. I am cutting the 8" round in half & using each half for an arm of the couch. So not much, if any, cutting off any cake. I'll more than likely be cutting the cake. I know they made me do it last year! lol Though I HATE doing that job!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 10

I think you're fine on the servings--just wanted to say tell C.Lurker Kate said hey.

icon_biggrin.gif

spencersmom98 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 10

I'll pass on the message, K8! lol Though she may be concerned at first and think I mean the other KT! icon_eek.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencersmom98

I'll pass on the message, K8! lol Though she may be concerned at first and think I mean the other KT! icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif Agh!! Put her mind at rest. icon_lol.gif Just me.

I'm just Kate, not Katie so that might help.

spencersmom98 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 10

LoL OK! That'll clear it up! Thanks for the info on sizes, too! I don't want to short change the scouts on their piece of cake! hehe

spencersmom98 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 10

Ugh! Just found out TODAY that this cake has to serve "around 80" people now! I already made my fondant family, so I don't want to scrap my idea and start over. Guess I'll just stick the couch cake ontop of another, larger cake base. This cake is gonna cost me some $$!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%