Wondering About Airbrushes?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm by Ayanami

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

So, I see a ton of cakes on here that are absolutely beautiful and have been airbrushed. I would love to get one and play with it....but I have no idea what to look for.

I have been to Michaels and they have a number of different types of airbrushes, but nothing that is is specifically related to cakes. They have ones for doing t-shirts, art projects on metal (like cars, helmets), nail designs...and then a couple that don't have anything specific. I have seen threads on here about ordering them online, but I am in Ontario, Canada and it seems like all of the suppliers I've seen are in the US.

For those of you that have airbrushes, would you be able to lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

7 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 8

Hey there, I got mine here: http://www.airbrushcity.com/ when I got mine for my bday...it was a small but good size pressure one about the size of a football. It came with 2 airbrush pen sets...one plastic, and then the one everyone says its real good for cakes....I would have to go look at it in my cake room, am busy at moment cant. But contact me.

Mine was like 130.00 for it all, its great!!!! Dont forget the colors for the airbrush, you cant use gels...no, no....and practice on coloring book or paper. I go to my computer and get do an image search and print them...to trace of color for my cakes....havent done an airbrush cake yet, am practing...scared...lol...but if you look at my last cake, I did do the sky with wilton sprays

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks 2txmedics. Anyone else have any input?

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 8

I bought mine on ebay from TCPglobal, they also have a regular internet store, I paid like $75 for mine and it came with one airbrush, it is a small "elephant" shaped compressor, I LOVE it, works great not too loud and doesnt take up much room!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 8

ok, my set up came with the compressor of course, quite one, and 2 pens...one is the regular plastic one that comes with it, and then the one that everyone uses for cakes, heavy and made of metal the GD101 I think is what its called.

So 2 pens, compressor, hoses, and jars. hope this helps.

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 8

They say Kopykake has the best for cake decorating. Expensive, like $250.00.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 8

My vote is for the Aztek A4709. Pricey but worth every penny. Gives a much better finished product then the kopykake system (no spatters) and there is no needle to bend or replace. Has a side feed which can be changed from left to right and the little cup has a lid on it. I have extra cups so changing colors isa breeze. It has several nozles for different spray patterns. I bought it from Roland Winbeckle but if you do a google search you can get it a little cheaper.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 8

I got the Airmaster by Kopy Kake for Christmas & I love it. Super easy to use & clean. Quite enough that I can hold a conversation with DH while using it. Haven't done much detail work with it, just all over spray coloring & RI flower coloring.

I use the liquid coloring to paint with paint brushes all the time too. It's great for hand painting detail work onto MMF & CF.

I have the "set of 11" regular colors & most of the sheen colors. My MIL got all of my stuff from Sugar Craft . com

I have a couple of books too, but I am impatient & prefer to learn while caking instead of practising on paper. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%