Dark Red Roses

Decorating By fatinha Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 7:58am by janine1972

fatinha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fatinha Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:30am
post #1 of 8

Hello FLOWER PROFIS!!I am doing for the first time RED ROSES and by mistake i orderd the wrong flower paste color icon_cry.gif ..it is cyclame/violet and not dark red !!
Do you have any idea how i can make a beautiful dark red out of it ???
The roses are for a weading cake and i am totaly in panic !!
Thanks for HELP thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:07am
post #2 of 8

Do you have any red colouring???? gel and powder colour mixed together, i find often brings out a nice deep red / dark red!

Or if that doesnt work, why dont you make your own paste???

I use flower paste for all my flowers, you make it by making a stiff peak royal icing and then add 1-2 teaspoons of your gum tex / dyocell or tylose.

Beat it in your mixer till it is nice and stiff, if need be add a little extra icing sugar to bring it to a nice not too stiff, but not a sticky mixture, then using white vegetable fat, on your hands and on the counter surface, knead it well.

You can use this straight away - if you want it all read, while mixing it in the mixer, add the colour you want, till it is the right shade and consistancy -

The nice thing about this recipe is you can store it wrapped in plastic, in a sealable container in the fridge for about 3 weeks or so, and when you need it, take it out, and knead it till it is pliable and you use it, it rolls out to paper thing, and is awesome for making realistic looking flowers!

I hope this helps - when is the cake for????

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #3 of 8

You could also dust over it with a deep red lustre dust or i actually make up my normal red which isnt very dark and use a burgundy lustre or a deep pink silly as it sounds...

fatinha Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:30am
post #4 of 8

THANKS a LOT for reply!! I think i will try to do my own paste ...The cake will be for next friday !!! icon_eek.gif

fatinha Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:36am
post #5 of 8

Hi Janine,i took a look at your pictures and saw the Poinsettia Pot Plant - Christmas cake !!! The color i need its almost the one you used for your Poinsettia....maybe just a little darker !!I do have gel/and powder colors.Will you share with me which color you used ?? THANK YOU icon_biggrin.gif

janine1972 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:53am
post #6 of 8

Hi

Sure , i mixed the gel/ spectrum super red with some powedered rubine - i put some onto the paste and mix it with a toothpick just so the powder mixes well, then i mix it into the paste - i do little bit by little bit so that i get to the colour im looking for - I find mixing the gel and powder colours together, gives it a nice dark red as gel red on its own takes forever and then the paste goes all gooey!! yuk!!

I hope that you get the colour you want with this - good luck - and please pm me when you put the picture on, i would love to see how it turns out! or if you need anything else, just holler, if i can help i will

fatinha Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:55am
post #7 of 8

THANK YOU JANINE thumbs_up.gif

janine1972 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:58am
post #8 of 8

You are so welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%