Have You Seen This Cake? (Cutters?)

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm by formerbuckeye

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 9

I thought I'd post this cake here & see if anyone knows where it's from!

I'll be doing a cake like this in the summer & would like to know if these were purchased cutters, or cutters used within cutters.

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

8 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure of the original design, but I'd use cutters within cutters. Several of the shapes look like regular flower/daisy cutters with teardrop, round or oval cuts out of the "petals". Good luck - it's a very pretty cake.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:30am
post #3 of 9

j-pal: exactly what i was gonna say!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 9

I agree w/the others. This is going to be a lot of work!
Some can be done ahead of time & dried on the cake pan so you get the right curving but others will have to be last minute.....applied to cake as soon as they are cut.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for your feedback!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 9

Good Luck! I attempted this cake last year and finding the right size cutters was a real mess. My bride kept changing the number of servings she needed which affected not only the tier sizes, but also when the tiers sizes change, so does the size of the cutouts! Needless to say, because the tier sizes weren't the same as the picture, it didn't turn out quite like either she or I expected. I did find some of the cutters, but some of them I had to bend and try to reshape them (especially the largest one). Also, I learned a very valuable lesson when putting on the cutouts. I was using MMF and they were very soft. After I had struggled with them for hours, I realized that I should have made them far enough in advance that they set up some, but not long enough so they would get too firm and not conform to the shape of the cake. Look at the picture in my gallery and you'll see what I mean. Also, I had a lot of trouble with the MMF. Overall, I was not pleased with the cake, but I did learn a lot from attempting it. If I had only known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have been up all night thinking suicidal thoughts!!! icon_lol.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 9

That's an awesome cake!!!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:14am
post #8 of 9

formerbuckeye - I see what you mean about the MMF being too soft. I think I've learned my lesson about that already (with other cakes I've done!). I think I'll use a mix of Satin Ice & gumpaste.

Can you tell me where you got the cutters from? And which ones?

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 9

I bought some of the cutters from Global Sugar Art. I think I used the Petunia #19877, the clover #20903, the primrose set #18955 and the jasmine/calyc cutter #19976 for some of the shapes. For the largest cutter, I used a cookie cutter that I found with pretty much the right shape. I honestly can't remember where all I got them, or which ones they were. I searched on every website I knew and ordered what I thought looked right. Some worked, some didn't. That's why I said good luck. I had to guess at the sizes on some of them and then when the bride changed her mind on the size of the cake, some of them didn't work anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%