Going Rate For Wedding Cupcakes??

Business By korkyo Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm by FromScratch

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #1 of 13

What is the going rate for cupcakes? I'm in KC mo.

Do you charge differently for basic and dressed up ones?

12 replies
Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 13

I think it really just depends! I usually charge $1.00 per cupcake and $1.50 for the glam ones. I hope that helps. Good Luck

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #3 of 13

Hi Korkyo, I think a good rate is between $2.25-$3.25 depending on their design. And I am just assuming you would charge a set-up fee to put them on a stand and all that icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 13

As far as I'm concerned, a cupcake is the equivilant to a slice of cake. If someone wants cupcakes for a wedding, I charge the same amount per cupcake as I do per slice of cake. I charge extra for any fondant/ chocolate flowers. I still charge a set-up and delivery fee.

I also tell brides they should think about ordering extra, since for some reason, people see that it's a cupcake and feel like it's okay to help themselves to more than one. They are more apt to do it with a cupcake than just a slice of cake.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 13

Mine start at $3.00 and I add a stand rental fee. I charge more for the decoration.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 13

I'm with the last two posters. I consider a cupcake a serving, so the cost is the same as a wedding serving. Plus a stand rental fee plus delivery fee.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 13

You guys consider a "standard" cupcake to be the same as a 1 x 2 x 4" slice of torted and filled cake? icon_eek.gif Damn, I wish I could get away with that around here.......... icon_rolleyes.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 13

I know some people quote higher because they are more labor than a wedding cake, I just did a wedding and becasue they were small cupcakes estimated 1.5 cupcakes per guest times $3.25. And you ARE right dkelly icon_smile.gif They are NOT the same size as a standard peice of cake-its the PIA factor I guess, and some people don't want to deal with the time and labor, but to me-money is still money and if it is what a bride wants, that is what she shall get. Everyone will charge differently I think to over their "opinion" of doing cupcakes-it is more involved than a wedding cake-that is for sure!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #9 of 13

I actually charge less for a cupcake. Virtually anybody that works for me can ice a cupcake. The construction and decoration of a tiered cake require a trained pastry chef who earns double what a kitchen intern does. Our cupcakes are $3.25 each our wedding servings start at $4.50.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:43am
post #10 of 13

A cupcake, though the portion is SMALLER than even a wedding slice, it is still one SERVING of cake, thus charge the same as you would for a regular cake decorated to the same level.

Yes, it is a PITA factor, but you deserve to be paid for that time... After all, you stack a cake once and carry it in... With cupcakes, you arrange them in the box so they don't bump, then you have to transport such that they don't tip, then when you get to the site you're going to spend 20x as long to put the cupcakes on the stand than you will to haul the stacked cake in once from the car to the table, then there's the extra materials because even though the portion is smaller, the batter amount is the same as if the portion were larger. Then the additional cost of the liners, extra frosting (you'll use more frosting on a cupcake than you would its equiv. in a slice of cake), boxes, etc.

Plus, let's face it, no one eats just ONE cupcake, come on, I'm going to chow down at least three (maybe 4 if there wasn't enough food during the meal) to make up for the cheapskates not giving me a full wedding portion of CAKE!!! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_evil.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 13

I don't differentiate between the price of a "wedding" cupcake and a "regular" cupcake. The batter, the baking, the icing, the degree of decorating is the same.

Cupcakes are easy if brides only want a cupcake with a swirl of icing. But most brides don't want that. They want the ornately decorated kind.

I can decorate a tiered cake for 100 with a couple of dozen buttercream roses. But 100 cupcakes require 100 bc roses ... more work for me.

And I agree ... people will take more than one. Cupcakes are a more casual food, so it's ok to "munch" on them, as opposed to the idea of "munching" on 2 or 3 slices of cake. Folks tend to think it's ok for a kid to take one bite, decide they dont' like that flavor, "....so go get another one that you like, then!" They are also very portable, so it's easy to grab one on the way out the door to eat either at home or on the way home .... something you can't do with a plated slice of cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And I agree ... people will take more than one. Cupcakes are a more casual food, so it's ok to "munch" on them, as opposed to the idea of "munching" on 2 or 3 slices of cake. Folks tend to think it's ok for a kid to take one bite, decide they dont' like that flavor, "....so go get another one that you like, then!" They are also very portable, so it's easy to grab one on the way out the door to eat either at home or on the way home .... something you can't do with a plated slice of cake.

I can just see this happening! LOL.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 13

A standard cupcake is the same volume of cake as a standard wedding slice.. if you do the math they come out to almost exactly the same volume (about 8 cubic inches). Cupcakes take longer to pour into their cups than it takes to pour the same amount of batter into a pan and it takes the same time (if not longer) to ice 20 cupcakes than it does to ice an 8" cake. For this reason I don't charge any different. I start custom cupcakes at $4.50 each and they come filled and frosted in BC with some decoration. If you want fondant it's $0.50 more and any fondant flowers are extra. I do basic cupcakes for $3.50 each and they are simply iced with a swirl of BC and not filled and flavors are limited to chocolate and vanilla. No matter if they are for a wedding or a birthday or just because they are the same price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%