Has Anyone Made A Skateboard From Gumpaste?

Decorating By dxerebl Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm by dxerebl

dxerebl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dxerebl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making cupcakes for a little boy who loves skateboarding. I'd like to make some small enough to fit on top.... any suggestions?

Lets remember, I'm VERY new....and have never made gumpaste before. The only local stores are Michaels and AC Moore and they only carry Gum-tex (or the pre-made, but I'd like to try and make it myself for the experience) - no tylose or gum tragacanth.

I'd love to see some pics as well so I can hopefully have a guide.

Thanks in advance!! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 10

When I need to do something like this, that I have never done before, I find a picture on the web, print it off, enlarge it or make it smaller, laminate it, cut it out, and use it as a template.

I recently made a "cars" Lightning McQueen and Thomas the Train this way. I actually cut each little piece out then put it back together like a puzzle. With one skateboard, it should go fast.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 10

I made some snowboards out of fondant:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1296051

I saw them on another cake in the forums and just tried to copy them. I rolled out the fondant pretty thick and just cut them by eyeballing, though I could have used a wide popsicle/craft stick to get the shape of the ends. Then I just curled up the two ends a bit. To make them into a skateboard I would just have rolled out a snack of black for the wheels then sliced them off, let it all dry up (so the board would be thick), then stuck the wheels to the skateboard either with water or if that didn't work then with a dab of icing. Gumpaste is pretty easy to make following the instructions on the can (but remember you are supposed to let it sit for 8 hours before you use it). You can only work with a little bit at a time because it dries quite quickly. I would personally do this with fondant because it is edible and I just like working with it more. However, I just started working with gumpaste/fondant this year, so I'm no expert. Good luck -- sounds like they will be cute.

dxerebl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to post a pic of the finished boards!

Bakki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakki Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 10

I made go karts with wheels using a painted toothpick to join wheels together!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309031

But I gather you want them small enough to fit on a cupcake? You could use fondant instead of toothpick, stick it on upside down & sit the curved board in a bowl of flour with glad wrap over the flour so that it acts like a cushioned bed for the curves on the baord & they stay curved! [That didnt sound right! I hope you got that?]

Just got that tip from a lady in Darwin Australia called Bronte - Its a good one for when you want an awkward shape of a figurine to stay & dry in the shape you want.
LL

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with all the advice but do caution you using gumtex. When I first started doing this I was trying to make figures using the stuff and couldnt understand why nothing would hold its shape correctly or dry correctly. A lot of the stuff I would make would crack or fall apart.
I know you said you didnt want to use tylose but I strongly suggest you reconsider. Especially if your getting paid for this. You want to make sure your customers are happy and get the best product you can give them. Putting attention to detail will give you more orders in the future!
And Nick Lodges gumpaste recipe is perfect for doing structures (you can check out my Pagoda and my toile planter in my pics). If you dont want to make your own gumpaste (which is cheaper then go for the premade Satin Ice. Its not good for making thin flower petals but it is great for doing structures. And believe me, I know what Im talking about with this stuff! I can honestly say that I work with it on a daily basis, more than baking and using fondant. So I know what it can do and what it cant! And hopefully I dont come off sounding like a Mrs. Know It All but a person that has experience that is giving you sound advice that will save you a lot of hassles in the future! icon_smile.gif

dxerebl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I agree with all the advice but do caution you using gumtex. When I first started doing this I was trying to make figures using the stuff and couldnt understand why nothing would hold its shape correctly or dry correctly. A lot of the stuff I would make would crack or fall apart.
I know you said you didnt want to use tylose but I strongly suggest you reconsider. Especially if your getting paid for this. You want to make sure your customers are happy and get the best product you can give them. Putting attention to detail will give you more orders in the future!
And Nick Lodges gumpaste recipe is perfect for doing structures (you can check out my Pagoda and my toile planter in my pics). If you dont want to make your own gumpaste (which is cheaper then go for the premade . Its not good for making thin flower petals but it is great for doing structures. And believe me, I know what Im talking about with this stuff! I can honestly say that I work with it on a daily basis, more than baking and using fondant. So I know what it can do and what it cant! And hopefully I dont come off sounding like a Mrs. Know It All but a person that has experience that is giving you sound advice that will save you a lot of hassles in the future! icon_smile.gif

I guess my post came across wrong -- it's not that I wouldn't use tylose or gum trag - I just don't have a quick access to it!! I will get some off the net for in the future, but these cupcakes are for this weekend!! I can only use what I can currently get my hands on!! Thanks for all the good advice - I'm open to ALL suggestions and love to hear from more experienced people - I LOVE this SITE!!!

And really love the go-kart pics!! great idea with the toothpics - may try spaghetti though icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 10

Im not sure where your located but if I order something from NY I get it usually within two days with regular ground delivery. You still might have time to order it and get them done for this weekend! icon_smile.gif
But if you dont, good luck with your project and dont forget to post your pics so we can all see the great job you will do!!! icon_smile.gif

Bakki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakki Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 10

...SPAGHETTI!!! icon_rolleyes.gif Of Course!!! Now see thats Why I LOVE this SITE SO MUCH!! icon_smile.gif I would never have thought of that!! Thank you for the great tip!!
It makes good sense!! Spaghetti!! LOve it Love these ideas Thrown everywhere LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!
-Thank you 4 that gem! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

dxerebl Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 10

Ladies - I've put up my pics of the finished product - Thanks for all the help!! In the end, I used made fondant (Colette Peters recipe) mixed with Wilton ready to use gumpaste (about a 3:1 ratio worked great!)

not sure how to add the CC link to my pic though... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%