Graphics Or Pictures For Website

Business By pinkpiggie78 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 1:16am by pinkpiggie78

pinkpiggie78 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 9

I am in the process of getting my website together while I am waiting for the inspection date to be set... does anyone have a good site to get cake/dessert graphics/pictures? Does anyone know if you can use WORD clipart pictures on your website? I will have a gallery of my photos, but my business cards have some pictures of desserts and I would like to find something similar to have on my website.

8 replies
antonia74 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 9

It's a bit of a touchy subject to use photos on your website/brochures/business cards of creations that were not made by you. My advice is to tread very carefully! icon_redface.gif

Sure, there are websites that sell stock photos for you to use...but that opens up the great debate of whether or not you should be using them to advertise to clients, unless you're sure they will get a product from you that is comparable to what they see in the photos? Is it fair to put these pics on your website without advising them first that they aren't your work but you could attempt to dulicate it? If you do tell them, will that lose you business? If you don't produce a good likeness...will that lose you business?

Hopefully you can either make do with a few photos of items you yourself have made in the past....and you can replace/upgrade with newer pics of your products as your business grows and expands. Why not take the next family celebration as an opportunity to bake a nice assortment of the goods you'd like to sell and snap some great photos of your work? thumbs_up.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 9

I guess my "issue" with using pictures of my own cookies, cakes, whatever on my homepage is that the photos themselves aren't professional enough for me. No matter how many times I take pictures of truffles, cheesecakes, etc, they just don't look like clipart or stock photos of desserts. Even though I am only small potatoes... I really want a professional looking website... at least on the homepage. My husband and I are working on taking better pictures of my decorated cakes, but they are never going to look like a professional food stylist's photos. I am not planning on using a decorated cake or decorated anything... just a slice of chocolate cake with a raspberry on top...

something_sweet Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 9

If you want to use professional looking photos without "stealing" someone else's, you need to use stock photos. Most of which you have to pay for. I have found one website where people upload their photos and give you permission to use them. It is:
Most of the photos are royalty free. The down side to this is that you may see other companies using the same photos. HTH

Brontecakes Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 9

Another thing you could do if you want clipart is to get a graphic designer (or a computer whizz) to design your very own original pics for your business cards and website. This would eliminate any copyright issues.
Good luck with your business icon_smile.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much sweetestthing... that site is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Brontecakes as well... right now I am spending money left and right (thankfully hubby is a computer dork and is doing my website) so hiring someone is just not an option. And thank you for the well wishes!!

Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 9

I stongly suggest not using anything from Microsoft with out their legal written permission.

I am betting that they have an excellent legal team and will eat you alive if you are using their copyrighted images with out permission and are caught.

mixinvixen Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:11am
post #8 of 9

i'm pretty much in the same boat as you right now; what i have planned is to create 2 to 3 cake dummies per month, not all huge tiered extravaganza's, some small but very detailed. that way i choose the designs that speak to the client the most, take as much time as i need finishing it, and then keep shooting it until i get a perfect shot.

by doing this, i kill several birds with one stone. i practice the designs, i get perfect cake shots for my business card and website, and i have cake dummies to stay on display in my cake studio to show off my work. i can also use them as competition pieces, if i need to.

hope this idea can work for you also.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:16am
post #9 of 9

I actually just ordered cake dummies this past week and am waiting for them to come in. I hope to get a good shot or two... as well as add to my portfolio. I think we are going to try to put a background together so we can use it to shoot the cakes and fit in with my color scheme (burgundy and dusty rose). Now can anyone watch my toddler while I do all this icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%