How Do I Freeze A Cake/cupcakes Using A Foodsaver?

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 1:33am by Cakepro

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how I would freeze a cake or cupcakes using a vacuum Foodsaver? Of course, I wouldn't want to suck all the air out as I wouldn't want to squish it. Maybe if I wrapped in a layer of saran wrap and then let it suck out a little air and then freeze... I don't know. I am thinking that the material for the bags might be a little better than just wrapping it in saran wrap. Well maybe not, but I bought this thing like a year ago and never use it. I am tired of my hubby complaining about it being on the counter so I was thinking if I used it for cakes, he might shut up. Any advice, thoughts, or concerns? Thanks!

6 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 7

I use my foodsaver all the time for cakes/cupcakes. The trick is you need to first wrap the cake in saran wrap and freeze it. After it is completely frozen then you place it in the foodsaver bag and seal it like you would anything else. I use the "moist" setting on mine and have never had a problem. Just do not place a fresh unfrozen cake in the bags and try to seal it. You will end up with a squished mess!

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info! I got a Foodsaver for Christmas and am still learning all the things I can do with it!

Karen

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 7

I love my Foodsaver. You're going to find that they are just wonderful. You can also freeze fresh fruit by following the same instructions lroberts74 gave you for cake/cupcakes. I freeze my cake scraps and when frozen put them in the Foodsaver where they stay fresh. Once I get enough to make a batch of cake balls (which can sometimes take forever) I've got fresh cake crumbs. Fresh herbs can be put in the Foodsaver and then just put into food frozen. Foodsavers are just wonderful!

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #5 of 7

I haven't even thought about herbs! That's fantastic! I've been busy getting my freezer organized and making those trips to Sam's pay off. It's also helped us tremendously with using up leftovers efficiently. I LOVE my Foodsaver so far!!!!

Karen

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lroberts74

I use my foodsaver all the time for cakes/cupcakes. The trick is you need to first wrap the cake in saran wrap and freeze it. After it is completely frozen then you place it in the foodsaver bag and seal it like you would anything else. I use the "moist" setting on mine and have never had a problem. Just do not place a fresh unfrozen cake in the bags and try to seal it. You will end up with a squished mess!

I do the same to freeze my cakes, I love my foodsaver I cant' live with out it, I go to the market and the get me meat I season it and freeze it, I use for everything for the baking powder for the cornstarch for the brown sugar etc, I love it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #7 of 7

I recently bought a FoodSaver and LOVE it, although I've yet to put the first thing in the freezer! I have marinated every piece of meat I've cooked for the entire last month. LOL

I really should start freezing cake scraps for trifles and cake balls, but I just put it all in the trash without thinking.

I have the model where I can control the amount of suction, which allows one to vacuum seal cupcakes and pieces of cake without having to freeze them first. Teekakes told me about that. She loves hers too, which is what inspired me to finally get one. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%