Square Wedding Cakes... Servings Amount??

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm by deliciously_decadent

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that needs 122 servings. She wants a 3 tiered square wedding cake. I am using the Wilton chart and to get this cake right.. according to this.. 10, 8, 6 would give me 100 servings. The 12, 10, 8 would give me 154 servings. This is my 1st wedding doing the squares and I need to get it close to her serving amount... Any suggestions would help!!! icon_cry.gif They are wanting to save the top tier..

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 8

Unfortunately the sizes are not always the exact amount that customers want.She will either have to go with the larger serving amount which I would anyway...can never have enough cake...or do it smaller and not have enough...I don't know... the answer kinda speaks for itself...but of course you have to do what she wants!

tarheelgirl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 8

That is what I thought myself. I would rather half more cake then a shortage.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 8

"122 servings". That's an odd number. I've never had a bride order cake like that. Hope that means she's just detail oriented and not one of "those" brides.

If she only wants to pay for 122 servings, she can order 122 cupcakes. Then hope Uncle Billy Bob or Cousin Alvina doesn't eat 3 of 'em. icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #5 of 8

I swear that's what she said! LOL I was thinking.. oh gosh.. do I want to tackle THIS one! haha She is having a lovely beach sunset wedding and does not want ANYTHING to do with a beach themed cake! The grooms cake is going to be a huge fish! icon_biggrin.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:52am
post #6 of 8

i have had a few nrides say that athen cater so there is enough for 122 pieces, which means you either make the cake for the 154 or i would make the one for 100 and give the kitchen a sheet cake for the extra 22 serves that way she is getting her 122 serves, i would give her the three options and she will tell you which is preferable, i have often givan brides this choice and been surprised on a lot of occasions when they pick the bigger option, has she considered keeping the top tier? this would absorb a small portion of the larger cake and probably bring you to the szie you need? JMO icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 8

I did not even consider a sheet cake! That is a good idea. How would you decorate that? She chose fondant with the buttercream icing so I assume the sheet cake would be the same?

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 8

yep ice it exactly as you would the big cake so they don't taste any different, i don't decorate my sheet cakes but the idea is that you also charge less for them, if the bride wants it decorated in a similr fashion charge the same per slice as the big cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%