How Do I Make A Two Tone Buttercream Cake???

Decorating By debo_04 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm by debo_04

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, I'm a hobby baker and I would much rather work with fondant than buttercream because I can never get it perfectly smooth and I am not very good at borders....... but I have a special request for sheetcake in buttercream for a retirement party. I have been looking all over the internet for ways to make an ordinary sheet cake look special and not "Kroger-ish". And looking for nifty borders that I can use. I really like the two tone look I saw on this web site:
http://www.cinderellacakes.com/sheetCakes_ss.htm?ssm=25
It is something unique and classy and I think it would be nice for this lady's cake. Does anyone out there know how to make this happen in buttercream?
I saw a pretty cake by tnt320to ages ago here on CC and finally found it after searching for hours but it was done with fondant icon_cry.gif so I can't beg for instructions.....I'm including it just so you can see how beautiful it is and see again what I'm talking about.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_77761.html

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Debbie

6 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 7

This is the easiest way to do this. Ice the cake all white, cut the shape you want on the top out of paper and lay it on the top of your cake. You may want to secure it with some toothpicks, make the toothpick holes in your paper template before putting it on the cake. Use food color spray and spray the cake the color you want. It won't be solid like colored icing but looks very nice, like you airbrushed it. Good luck.

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 7

They also have detailed directions on the Wilton website. There is a two-toned cake called Etched-On-Ivory that explains how they did it with buttercream frosting.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Etched-On-Ivory

Good Luck.

debo_04 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the web site and also try and find some food color spray and see what works best.

debo_04 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #5 of 7

ooohhhhh, I LOVE that etched on ivory cake! I'm not sure how easy that will be, but I'm gonna give it a try. I think it will be easier for me since all I want is a solid yellow sheet cake with a white scroll edged insert on top. Hhhmmmm, this could be interesting.

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #6 of 7

Let me know how it works out. I have been wanting to do something like that, but am still working on perfecting other areas.

debo_04 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 7

I know what you mean, I have lots of other "areas to work on" too and I'm super nervous since it is for a co-worker and everyone I work with will be checking it out, but if it turns out good I will post a pic. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%