Marshamallow Fondant Problems

Decorating By gincake12 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm by swede

gincake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gincake12 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 21

Hi Everyone!
This is my first time making marshmallow Fondant. I am wondering if it is too dry or too wet.

I kneaded it for about 20 minutes and it still crumbles, though it doesn't feel dry. It is still a little sticky so I add a bit more powder sugar. Do I need to continue to Knead it (please say no!) or what? Perhaps I need to add more Marshmallow.
Thanks so much!

20 replies
stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 21

It shouldn't crumble. It should be pliable, not wet or sticky. You may need to add a tbsp. of water and perhaps some shortening. I used to use mmf but recently switched to Michele Foster's fondant recipe in the recipe section. It's really easy to make and is very user friendly. Gives your cake a beautiful finish. I purchase glycerine from the pharmacy, although you can get small bottles from Michael's. Hope this helps.

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 21

I had the same problems and was advised to add just a bit of glycerin and it really helped improve the pliability. Which recipe did you use? I have not tried the Rhonda's ultimate MMF recipe yet, but have seen lots of great comments about it here on this site. Good luck.

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 21

I meant to add that you should knead (sorry) the glycerin in a few drops at a time. More water doesn't really help, trust me, I kept adding water, but the fondant still had fissures in it when I covered the cakes. The glycerin really helps, if you don't have any try shortening or perhaps some corn syrup.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 21

What recipe are you using? The basic pop-in-the-microwave and melt the marshmallows recipe works up very nicely.
And....are you folding it over and over as you knead, like bread? That constant folding will cause fissures, so I've learned from experience!

gincake12 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 21

Thanks for all the good tips! Yes, I am folding it like bread - my instructor said I should pull it like taffy instead. So that is my first problem. Second, I will definatly add glycerin. I am using the Easy Marshmallow Fondant recipe.
You guys are the best! So glad I found this site!

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 21

I used MacsMom's mmf this weekend on a cake and it was super easy to work with. Like you I had tried the regular mmf and had problems. This one uses glycerin in it and I definately think that helps!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 21

I have never had luck with MMF. Reading what all of you are saying, I realize that I slso am kneading it like bread. I did not realize there was another kind of kneading. icon_confused.gif Could someone explain it to me better on how to knead fondant? I gave up on homemade fondant and I have to buy SatinIce. It is very expensive so I stick with buttercream as much as possible. Whenever I made MMF, it ended up like a rock and I had to throw it all away. It seems like a waste of money. icon_mad.gif Thanks for any help.
Vicky

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky

I have never had luck with MMF. Reading what all of you are saying, I realize that I slso am kneading it like bread. I did not realize there was another kind of kneading. icon_confused.gif Could someone explain it to me better on how to knead fondant? Vicky

Personally, I do not like how Satin Ice handles. I much prefer MMF to SI. Just squeeze with your hands, rotate and push with the heels of your hands. I also find that the brand of marshmallows makes a big difference, I haven't had luck with JetPuff or BJ's brands, but found that Walmart GV brand works really well.

I also just tried Michelle Foster's Fondant this weekend and it is so much smoother on the cake, I think I'll being using that more often. It has gelatin powder, glycerine and corn syrup in it - no marshmallows.

Now I am tempted to also check out MacsMom's recipes, I'm sure the glycerine would make a huge difference and I need to use up the 4 bags of mini marshmallows I still have stocked up.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 21

Also, dont use all the ps in the MMF recipe. A lot of it depends on the weather, but for the most part it doesnt take the full amount.

To save time on kneading, put about 1/2 of the ps in as directed in the recipe. Then when it's manageable put it into the PS and knead in what is left. This works for me.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 21

First off, I got spooked when I saw my name highlighted saying they had no luck with MMF. I'm Vicky as well! How funny.

I LOVE MMF! That's why I was confused. Sorry.
I use the MMF on this site and love it. I'm not a fondant person to begin with, mostly buttercreme, but when I need it, I love it! I hardly have to do any kneeding at all. And when it's a bit dry for some reason, pop it in the microwave for about 6 seconds!

Sorry, Vicky, not many of us share the 'y'. ha, ha.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 21

The brand of marshmellows does make a difference. Buy a name brand, rather than "store" brand. The end product should feel a lot like play-dough. It sounds like too much sugar was added, more than a kneading problem. Try adding glycerin, and, or, karo syrup, a bit of water can also be added. Coat your hands well with Crisco (or any brand) and knead until smooth. I would suggest Michelle Foster's Fondant, (the recipe is here on CC), it's very easy to make, feels wonderful to the touch, covers a cake beautifully and tastes good. HTH

gincake12 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 21

This has been such an education. Since I didn't have any glycerin, I added some Crisco during kneading. This seemed to help - maybe I need to add a bit more. At least now I know what it's supposed to feel like. My hands sure feel stronger! Also, I used a store brand Marshmallow creme - kroger and too much PS. Well, if I have to start over, I'm gonna try Michele Foster's recipe. I've already saved it to my recipe book!

Thanks you guys! You're the best!! icon_biggrin.gif

lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 21

I had another thought, check the "out date" on the marshmellows, too. Old is not good. They seem to get dry, don't melt well and don't take sugar as well, either.

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks to all of you for the info and am going to try to make this tomorrow. Is it okay to use marshmallow creme? Which fondant recipe on the site is Michelle's and Mac's mom's recipes. There are so many. I learned a lot from all of you!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Bless all of you, will let you all what happens.
Vicky

lapazlady Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 21

I use Michelle Foster's Fondant, in the recipe forum. I've never tried marshmellow cream but I know it's been talked about. Hopefully, someone will post a reply for you.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 21

I haven't tried Marshmallow Creme, but I wouldn't think it is a good option. I'm curious to see if someone who has actually tried it can say for sure.

Adding Crisco helps if it is too dry, and try adding corn syrup and/or glycerine as well, it really helps with pliablility.

My first batch of MMF was so rubbery and cracking, that I wasn't sure I wanted to try it again. Because it is so much less expensive and better tasting I did give it another go and it worked. The 2 mistakes I made was using my KA mixer instead of kneading by hand, that made it too easy too add more PS than necessary and I used JetPuff marshmallows which made the MMF too rubbery.

If you search the recipe forum for Michelle Foster, her fondant should come up. I suggest trying hers and giving MMF another try so you can compare and see which you prefer, everyone has a different favorite. I like both, but do prefer Michelle Foster's.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 21

Hi Vicki,

Here ya go. I tried this a few months ago, as was pleased with the results. I did have to add more PS than is indicated on the recipe.

Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant

Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp - for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)
*note - all tablespoons and teaspoons are level, not heaped

Directions
- combine milk and gelatin & allow to firm
- cook over double boiler until gelatin is dissolved
- add remaining ingredients(except sugar) & cook until butter is almost melted
- cool to lukewarm (I come back to it and stir periodically so it doesn't form a "skin" on the top or get clumpy)
- strain into mixer containing 2 lb powdered sugar (one bag)
- mix slowly until just combined
- use dough hook, add several more cups of sugar, & mix on low until combined
- continue to add sugar until it holds its shape on hook
- turn onto powdered sugar surface & knead
- wrap in oil painted plastic wrap and put in ziplock freezer bag
- let stand for 24 hours before using

I always coat my hands, counter, and rolling pin with shortening when I'm ready to use. I also have powdered sugar on hand to dust with if it seems sticky, to firm it up a little bit. I had to do it a couple of times to be able to tell when I had added enough powdered sugar. If it is too stiff, I just add a tiny bit of water, and use more shortening on my hands/counter/rolling pin and that helps to add more moisture and flexibility. Be careful when it's mixing not to let it get too hard, or it will be difficult to work with and you'll have to do a lot of "adjusting" to get it the consistency you want it! I would rather it be too soft and be able to add more powdered sugar as I knead.

Other CC Comments:
Also, I stumbled across a post once where a girl adds 6 oz. of melted white chocolate to the recipe and it becomes White Chocolate Fondant!!! I tried that and people have fallen over themselves to eat it!!!

glendaleAZ Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #19 of 21

Here's Macsmom

Marshmallow Fondant - MacsMom's BC flavored variation

My whole plan of action was to make an excellent tasting, great functioning MMF. After raves about Fondarific's buttercream flavored fondant I had to come up with my own. Mine is really based on Rhonda's Ultimate MMF, as I loved working with her recipe, but with a few subtle changes.

16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet Puffed)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon glycerine
2 drams of LoRann butter flavor *(it is the strongest and tastiest flavoring, but you may use 2 teaspoons of another butter extract, adding an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract)
1 teaspoon popcorn salt (I grind my own salt in a coffee grinder - if you don't, you may get crystallization that leaves your fondant covered cake pock-marked)
Food coloring if using
2 lbs powdered sugar

Grease a large microwave-safe bowl with either shortening or non-stick spray. Pour in the marshmallows and sprinkle with water. Melt about 1 minute (don't go over 90 seconds or it will get make the MMF tough).

Add the rest of the ingredients except the powdered sugar, including food coloring if desired, and stir with a greased sturdy spatula (again, you can use non-stick spray) .

Add a small amount of PS at first to absorb moisture and avoid clumping - about 1/2 c. Then you can add larger amounts, trying to get as much mixed in as possible with each addition. When I have half of the bag of PS left, I dump it in and knead with my greased hands.

MMF can be temperamental so it's good to get to know it at this point--what it should feel like before wrapping it in plastic wrap. If it is too soft it will be hard to work with; too hard isn't nearly as bad but you still want to find that happy medium.

When it is humid, rainy or foggy, or hot outside, MMF sometimes requires more PS than a 2 lb bag. That is the main reason I try to knead in every bit of PS I can between additions. Perfect weather sometimes calls for less PS.

It's hard to explain the proper texture, that's why you have to have a bit of patience with trial and error. It should be firm enough not to droop when you hold the ball on your palm, yet remain pliable.

So once your MMF is ready to be wrapped, rub the ball with a small amount of shortening and wrap in plastic wrap to rest for several hours.

When it's time for use you'll have to soften it in the microwave for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. But be forwarned that smaller amount of MMF (leftovers) need a much shorter amount of time in the micro to soften. Be careful not to get it too soft or it will be miserable to work with.

If it gets too soft you can add cornstarch to it. If that doesn't help enough you can knead in a little gumpaste or tylose powder to give it strength - but too much GP will make your MMF too hard so be slight of hand and try more cornstarch.

If it happens to be too hard from too much PS, soften it in the micro and knead in more glycerine.

I usually make a double batch in a huge Tupperware bowl - this stuff lasts forever in the freezer! (greased well and wrapped very well).

glendaleAZ Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #20 of 21

One more comment....

A few days ago I made the regular MMF for the first time. Everything went well until, the point where I needed to add the second half of the PS. At this point my mixture started to crumble. I put it back in the micowave for 10 seconds (no more) and that made it soft enough to continue kneeding the mixture. Every time I felt it start to get a little hard I would just put it back in for 10 more seconds, until I was finished with the kneeding process. I really liked the texture, and worked really well for making figures.

Good Luck,
Tammy

swede Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swede Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #21 of 21

I love working with fondant since i found this wonderful recipe.
1 bag fresh marshmellows
put in microwave bowl add 5 tablespoons of water
cook on high 3 minutes, for 30 seconds each stirring after each 30 seconds.
add flavoring I like champange or truttifrutii
stir well then add almost all of 2 lb bag of powder sugar exclude about 1/2 cup.
stir with wooden spoon
then apply shortening to hands and fold in with hands
take out and knead on wax paper , use the rest of the powder sugar while kneading
it turns out great every time.
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%