Freezing Cake

Decorating By Sixtoes Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm by suzylynn58

Sixtoes Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 3

I have to bake my cake ahead of time and freeze becuase I work nights.

My question is two fold: should I frost the cake with buttercream before I freeze and then fondant the night before the party?

And when I freeze the cake, does it need to have anything underneath of it to support it? Or do I just wrap the cake in Saran Wrap and foil?

Thanks for the imput!!

2 replies
Eisskween Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 3

I freeze the cake in triple saran wrap and foil, and then thaw when I am ready to tort, fill and crumbcoat, etc.

I always keep a cardboard of piece of sturdy plastic under the cake to keep it from shifting shape or picking up grid marks from the freezer. That also helps with moving the cake and prevents breakage from cooling to the freezer. HTH

suzylynn58 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 3

I freeze all the time. i usually wrap it really well and then put a cardboard or cookie sheet under it to go in the freezer. I have actually iced in buttercream before freezing with good results. I fyou do it that way, go ahead and put it on the board you will use to decorate, so you will only have to thaw, unwrap and decorate and not have to move the iced cake to another board.

Just remember to keep it wrapped till completely thawed so the condensation will be on the outside of the wrap and not the cake/icing.

Don't fondant till completely thawed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%