Need Quick Color Help!

Decorating By texasseegirl Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm by rockysmommy

texasseegirl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a batman cake and I am trying to get a deep blue - what will happen if I add a drop of black - will it just muddy it up? I am using Americolor Royal Blue.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

6 replies
rvercher23 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 7

When I did a batman cake I added a little black to my blue and it was fine, just don't do too much. Good Luck!

j-pal Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 7

Be very careful - the black can make it more grey than navy. The first batman cake I did started out grey, navy and black ... the next day it was all black!! Remember, your colors will usually darken as they sit, so start off with a decent dark blue and it will dry darker. I'll sometimes add a little bit of purple to royal to darken it up and give it a less "dull" color. Just a touch, though. Good luck!

Arriva Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #4 of 7

Put a small amount of your blue icing in a bowl and try adding a little bit of purple or violet and see what happens. I'm always testing small amounts of color rather than messing up all of it. Good luck.

texasseegirl Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:23am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the quick replies! I added 2 drops of black and 3-4 of purple and I think it's going to work great - at least it looks good right now! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!!

Michelle

texasseegirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 7

Adding the black and purple worked out great. The resulting color matched Batman's cape exactly. Thanks again for the help and quick replies - I love that I can always count on the great knowledge here at the CC! icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle
LL

rockysmommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

Be very careful - the black can make it more grey than navy. The first batman cake I did started out grey, navy and black ... the next day it was all black!! Remember, your colors will usually darken as they sit, so start off with a decent dark blue and it will dry darker. I'll sometimes add a little bit of purple to royal to darken it up and give it a less "dull" color. Just a touch, though. Good luck!

Thanks for this tip...I have had mine to show up "dull" because of adding black...will def give this a try. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%