How Many Cookies Will A Recipe Of Toba's Ice?

Baking By absijails Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 4:22am by SpringFlour

absijails Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:38am
post #1 of 6

About how many 4" cookies (hearts) will a recipe of Toba's glace ice - without decorations?

I'm hosting a volunteer committee meeting on Monday and have baked 250 4" cookies that we'll be icing and decorating (mainly with sprinkles...). I just want to make sure I've got enough icing ready.

Thanks so much!

5 replies
SpringFlour Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 6

In my experience, one recipe of Toba's glace doesn't go very far. For one recipe of NFSC, I double the batch of glace and have a little left over. I think a batch of NFSC would yield about 50-60 cookies, depending on size.

If I may offer a little more advice, even though you didn't ask for it...
Toba's glace isn't necessarily the easiest icing to work with. If you are planning to have lots of inexperienced cookie people helping with this, you may want to make the icing just a little bit thicker than normal. When made as the recipe stated, it can tend to run off the cookie a little.

Are you planning to package these and sell them? Or are you making them to just eat that night? If you're just planning to eat them there, you may find buttercream easier to work with, especially for people who are a little less experienced in decorating.

absijails Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks. I will make it a little thicker, then.

We are selling these at a sale. Some are going in cookie bouquets and some are just for individual sale. I like to use Antonia74's recipe as well, but don't want to have to mess with piping.

Any other suggestions or advice for icing and decorating a significant amount of cookies with inexperienced decorators? And any advice for keeping 2 year-old hands out of the icing as it sets?

Thanks again!

GeminiRJ Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by absijails

Thanks. I will make it a little thicker, then.

We are selling these at a sale. Some are going in cookie bouquets and some are just for individual sale. I like to use Antonia74's recipe as well, but don't want to have to mess with piping.

Any other suggestions or advice for icing and decorating a significant amount of cookies with inexperienced decorators? And any advice for keeping 2 year-old hands out of the icing as it sets?

Thanks again!

I almost always use additional powdered sugar when I make this icing. You can thicken it to the consistency of peanut butter and use it for outlining, too.

I would recommend using tye-dye techniques for inexperienced decorators. Mix up a lot of white, for instance, and then some pink and red. They can flood the entire cookie, and then while the icing is still wet, add lines or dots of the pink and red. Show them how to drag a toothpick thru the icing to get the tye-dye look. You get a very nice looking cookie, and there is no right or wrong. Also, you can have a lot of different sprinkles for them to choose from. Everybody likes sprinkles!

Good luck!

Mickeebabe Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #5 of 6

Does Toba's glace have to be refrigerated? Does the decorated cookie have to be refrigerated? How much flavoring do you add to a batch of the glace?

Thank you!

SpringFlour Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:22am
post #6 of 6

Do not refrigerate the cookie once it is decorated! And no, the icing doesn't need to be refrigerated. I know there's milk in it, but you don't have to worry about spoilage...the sugar preserves the milk. Isn't science grand?

I've left the icing on the counter for a few days with no problem at all. You might just need to stir it up a bit before you use it.

As for flavoring, I don't have my recipe in front of me, but I think I use about 1 tsp of vanilla, 1/2 tsp. almond extract and sometimes a bit of lemon extract. Usually my flavorings add up to 1 1/2 - 2 tsps. of liquid. I add a little extra ps to compensate for the extra liquid. Oh but let me say that this is with a doubled recipe!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%