I Love My Cc Family... ( May Be A Long Venting)

Decorating By tcbalgord Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 12:34am by tcbalgord

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 6

Just before xmas I took a part-time job at Dairy Queen as their cake decorator. It was like a perfect marriage, I could brush up on my skills, try new techniques on their cakes without wasting my money, and neither them or me were threatened because I ( my own biz) don't do ice cream cakes and they don't do "real" cakes!
Well the week after xmas the part-time job went fulltime, still ok since we really need the money and my biz is really slow. Two weeks ago they tell me to start doing my v-day cakes and putting some out, ok cool, whatever. Then last week they tell me that they are having customer appreceation day on feb 8th and want 400 cakes cuz they are going to be half off. And they want them perfectly decorated cuz the owner will be here that day! So ok I put in 50 hours last week and got half way done. This week they tell no v-day cakes are allowed! WHAT??? So now I am 50 cakes short of what I need and I have already put in 60 hours this week. Why so much and so short you ask?? Well these stupid people keep buying cakes and I have to keep replacing them! The 400 is on top of what we already stock! icon_cry.gif I am caked out and my family doesn't seem to understand my frusteration! lol Don't get me wrong I really love what I do, I just think they are insane to run this day so close to v-day and to expect me to do it all fancy! Needless to say I am going in tomorrow to hopefully finish.

Thanks for letting me vent CCer's, you the best!

5 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

Wow! I don't blame you for needing to vent. That is a lot to put on your shoulders. Are you the only decorator? I'm with you. Why are they doing this so close to Valentine's Day? Keep your chin up it sounds like you have job security if you don't go crazy first. icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 6

Wow, that's a lot of cakes to decorate. I can't even imagine...it literally takes me all day just to do one! But then I only do this for fun so I don't really get that much "practice". Anyway, I hope you get it all done soon and get some relaxation time in...you deserve it!!!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 6

i used to do cakes at dairy queen too and it does get really rushed around vday but i can't imagine no one else having experience to atleast help out a bit!! i mean can't someone else finish some simple borders so your poor hands can relax a bit?!?! you'll have claws soon (cold claws) like that guy from the cake challenge who did sully from monsters inc. (all grass "fur"-just thinking about it makes my hands cramp up) lol hope you get a raise and a long rest icon_smile.gif

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 6

I so totally feel for you! I worked at Tim Horton's (when they still made cakes) The worst weekend was Easter.... In 2 days I made 200 (before I stopped counting) Easter Bunny cakes by the end they were being sold as fast as I could make them. By the end my hands were so cramped I couldn't pick up the phone to call my hubby to come get me. I never ever wanted to see another cake EVER!!!! And then I got over it and I'm still caking although I refuse to EVER make a bunny cake! icon_rolleyes.gif
thumbs_up.gif Keep plugging away it will be over soon and then get some rest!! thumbs_up.gif GOOD LUCK

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 6

I am the only decorator and yes there are two girls who know how to decorate, and all of them know how to make the cakes, however they won't let them help because they need them to make all the dilly bars and what not, and the 2 that can decorate, are the managers and so you know that they won't help! lol. I just hope that owner sees that I put a lot of work into them and that at the end I just wanted numbers and didn't care if some of the frosting wasn't "perfect"! I mean really, are you spending $24 for perfect frosting? Not really!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%