Gum Paste... Can You Add Frosting And Fondant

Decorating By wendysue Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 5:32am by Bakki

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 3

to dried pieces? I'm making another teapot cake, but opted to use gumpaste over fondant to save some drying time. I'm not all that accustomed to working with gumpaste, and not loving the way it looks. It has a wrinkled appearance and looks dry... not smooth and clean like the fondant.

Anyhoo... I was wanting to dry and decorate the spout and handle either by adding vines and raised flowers or just flat flowers, but not sure how to get them to stick. Beyond that I'm wondering if piping frosting flowers and vines will do anything to compromise the structure of the gumpaste?

Can you paint gumpaste with color? I've done this with fondant, but not sure what will happen with the gumpaste. Wondering too about adding luster dust. Does that work?

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Thank ya ladies (and gents)!

~Wendy

2 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 3

Hi, if you want to lustre dust the teapot, you can do it before you decorate it. You can paint on gumpaste or you can pipe flowers and leaves with royal icing. But I don't think you can paint after you lustre dust the teapot. If you want, you can cut some flowers out and stick them on with a bit of royal icing.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Bakki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakki Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:32am
post #3 of 3

Ive just started dabbling more seriously with icing & fondant & making figurines & in my experience Ive forgotten to add the CMC powder [hardener] to the fondant to make it gumpaste So ive quicky gotten the glue that I use which is CMC & water made into a gluggy glue mix & Ive PAINTED that like a semi laquor kind of thing & its dried to a nice shine & hardened up the soft fondant slightly but this is talking about doing hair for lil figurines But I guess the effect would be similar for alarger scale!

I made fondant legs once & they TOOOOOOOOOK FOOORRRREEEEEEVVVEEEEEERRRRR to dry! But when I painted on the glue [cmc & water] it sped it up a tad & gave a gloss finish.

I use the glue to stick anything to anything! LOL Its marvelous stuff!

And Ive used the glue OVER lusterdust & the pieces HAVE stuck!...tho not recommended! You have to luster again methinx!
I stuck the saddle on this horse after I'd sprayed with pearl spray
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%