Urgent Sugar Cookie Help

Baking By Pabs Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm by TracyLH

Pabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pabs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif k SO I am new to this - I just baked the no fail sugar cookies, I made the number 100 out of 3 separate cutters but pushed the cookies close to each other so that they were touching - they seem fragile do they harden up more and stick together better as they cool ??

12 replies
mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 13

Yes! Don't try to move them till they are cool. Then let them rest on a rack till they are nice and sturdy. Good luck!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 13

Just so you know, if the dough is cold, they should puff less in the oven. I roll my dough, put it in the fridge and then cut and bake (like the NFSC recipe says). I saw a cookie guy on Martha Stewart say that at his shop they chill, cut, then chill again before putting them in the oven.

HTH icon_smile.gif

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 13

yes, let them cool, then decorating them as one maybe. That would look good

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 13

Welcome Pabs!

Yes, let them cool so they strengthen. Also, did you roll them really thin? One of the nice things about the No Fail Sugar Cookies is that they don't have to be super thin. If you are going to do another batch (and you think they might be too thin), roll them a little thicker.

I, too, roll them between sheets of parchment. Chill the dough(actually, I chill mine in the freezer) take them out, cut them, then put them back in the freezer about five minutes before I pop them in the oven. As well, I keep the cookie sheets in the freezer so they are nice and cold as they go in the oven.

Pabs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif thanks for all the tips girls !!!! they turned out nice and sturdy :O) HOOORAY I was FREAKING out :O) they are for my daughters 100 day party at Kindergarden...

I was told to use the Antonia74 royal icing...I need advice/tips....

Thank you !!!

How long do they need to dry before they can be packaged and tagged ?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 13

I would let them dry overnight before packaging/stacking.

shiney Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 13

Remember, let them dry between layers, or you will get bleeding. Can't wait to see the pics!

Pabs Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #9 of 13

Thanks ! do they just stay out ?? to dry - like not refrigerated ?

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #10 of 13

Not that I recommend this but I have left these cookies out for weeks, uncovered and they were STILL delicious. I had gone on vacation and forgotten to put them away. When I came back, they looked good, I was hungry and well, you know... icon_redface.gif

shiney Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #11 of 13

Skirt, that's one mean cookie recipe!! I dry mine in rubbermaid airtight containers, just because I like fresh as possible, and when you have several layers to do, serving them within a day or two is sometimes impossible.

Pabs Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #12 of 13

SO sealed container to dry ?

LOL on the post holiday cookies thats awesome ! icon_surprised.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 13

Watch the container you store them in. If the container smells 'plastic-y', your cookies can take on that 'taste'. Does that make sense? icon_confused.gif That is why I switched to cello bags when I package them as the ones I orginally tried imparted a 'taste'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%