Ganache Covered Cake Question

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm by ddaigle

ddaigle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 5

I am making my first ganache covered cake this weekend. It will be completely covered....not drizzled. Maybe a stupid question....but is the ganache poured over a bare cake or over an iced cake? Thanks. Deb

4 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 5

THe cake needs to be iced very smoothly - you will see every bump, dimple, ripple in the chocolate if the icing is not smooth.

Here is a recent thread about it:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617703.html

Good Luck!

cakesdivine Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 5

Yes at least a thin layer of BC very smooth and make sure the cake has been in the fridge so it is good an cold before pouring the hot ganache or the BC will melt off of it. Do you have a drip rack? You can use a cooling rack over a half or full sheet pan depending on the size of cake you are covering.

Toptier Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 5

I've always had the best results with ganache by first frosting the cake with cooled ganache until it is smooth, then refrigerating it for just 20 minutes or so until the ganache is set. Then take the frosted cake and put it on a rack over a cookie sheet. Let the cake warm back up for an hour or so. In the meantime melt the remaining ganache, then let it cool until just warm and pour the ganache over the cake, working fairly quickly. The ganache that you pour over the cake should be just above room temp, not too hot, not too cold. It does take some practice. I've always had the best results if the frosted cake and the pouring ganache are close in temperature but others may have different experiences.

HTH

ddaigle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks....any errors will be completely covered. I'm making one of those kit-kat wrapped cakes fill with strawberries...so you won't see any of the ganache. Figured this would be a good opporunity to practice with it. Glad I asked...I would've forgotten to ice it first! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%