Chocolate Chip Rool Out Cookeis

Baking By toleshed Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm by toleshed

toleshed Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone tried to make these? I was just looking at the recipe in the recipes section. Its only rated 2 stars. I just wondered if that was because nobody has tried to make them or because they aren't good. I'm tired of doing the NFSC. This batch came out harder than a rock for some reason. There were 10 bags of samples and I was just to embarrassed to give them away. So I threw them away. I would just like to try something else.
Thanks for any help

10 replies
GayeG Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 11

Hi toleshed!

I make some and they are delish! Um - I dont know if its the same ones thats in the recipes, Ive never looked -

Mine are not lumpy, you use mini chips and they have always been a crowd pleaser - You can PM me if youd like the recipe -

HTH
Gaye

eatdessert1st Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 11

Here's one I got from one of my cookie books. They're OK tasting IMHO. A bit "floury" but the kids really like them.
Mini Chip Cut-Out Cookies
These refrigerator cookies are dotted with tiny chocolate chips. Vanilla frosting with a drizzle of melted chocolate completes the decoration.    
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
12 ounces NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels, divided

BEAT butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and salt in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in 1 1/2 cups morsels. Divide dough in half; cover. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
ROLL half of dough to 1/4-inch thickness between two sheets of waxed paper. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Lift from waxed paper; place on ungreased baking sheets. Chill for 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
BAKE in preheated 350° F. oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

cookieman Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

Has anyone tried to make these? I was just looking at the recipe in the recipes section. Its only rated 2 stars. I just wondered if that was because nobody has tried to make them or because they aren't good. I'm tired of doing the NFSC.

I'm thinking this recipe only got 2 stars because if you read it, it does not list chocolate chips in the ingredients, but there they are in the directions. What else might be wrong with this recipe? When recipes are missing key ingredients, it sends up a red flag as to the rest of the recipe.

(recipe copied and pasted)

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla
3 oz. premelted unsweetened baking chocolate
3 cups all-purpost flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy (about 3 minutes on medium). Add the egg, vanilla, and chocolate, beating until well mixed. In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder with the flour. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 1 cup at a time. Mix only until just combined. Fold in the chips. Lay a sheet of waxed paper on your work surface and lightly dust with flour. Place a disc of dough on the waxed paper and lightly dust with flour. Roll to 1/4" thickness. Cut your shapes, place on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

GayeG Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 11

Hey eatdessert1st!

Thats my recipe too!! Ok, thats funny!! I agree w/the too floury taste ... but always always - other ppl love them! They do decorate easily enuff though - unlike other choc chip cookies that are all bumpy lumpy!

GayeG Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 11

Excellant detective work Cookieman!!!

I went and read it myself ... no see, no chips! I'm loosing my game!!

Good job!!

And good luck toleshed!

absijails Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 11

I've tried this recipe from Karen's Cookies and they're pretty good...

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe08

cashley Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 11

Hi I hated the NFSC and looked for another. This one I have done many many times with requests for it all the time. I have tried many of the recipes on this site with great success. Hope this helps. This recipe will not spread when cooked and stays semi soft in the middle of the cookie which I loved and the flavour is great.

http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/recipes.recipeListing/filter/dianas/recipeID/1492/Recipe.cfm

GayeG Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by absijails

I've tried this recipe from Karen's Cookies and they're pretty good...

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe08

icon_biggrin.gif Same recipe as I and eatdessert1st! Now "I" remember where I got it!! Thanx Karens Cookies! thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

Has anyone tried to make these? I was just looking at the recipe in the recipes section. Its only rated 2 stars. I just wondered if that was because nobody has tried to make them or because they aren't good. I'm tired of doing the NFSC.

I'm thinking this recipe only got 2 stars because if you read it, it does not list chocolate chips in the ingredients, but there they are in the directions. What else might be wrong with this recipe? When recipes are missing key ingredients, it sends up a red flag as to the rest of the recipe.

(recipe copied and pasted)

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla
3 oz. premelted unsweetened baking chocolate
3 cups all-purpost flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy (about 3 minutes on medium). Add the egg, vanilla, and chocolate, beating until well mixed. In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder with the flour. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 1 cup at a time. Mix only until just combined. Fold in the chips. Lay a sheet of waxed paper on your work surface and lightly dust with flour. Place a disc of dough on the waxed paper and lightly dust with flour. Roll to 1/4" thickness. Cut your shapes, place on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

Okay, had to laugh. It's my recipe! For some reason, once it's submitted you cannot edit...even when it's immediately after submitting. The chips are the only thing missing, and it's one cup of mini-chips. I re-posted the recipe in the cookie forum with the notation about the missing chips. Personally, I love this recipe. Lots of chocolate! I used it to make the Tiki cookies in my photos.

toleshed Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 11

oh my goodness Thanks so much you guys. This is the best forum. See GeminiRJ?
Aren't you glad you stayed? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%