To Do The Rim? (Pic Attached)

Decorating By Callyssa Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm by sweetcakes

Callyssa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 6

I don't know if anyone here made this cake, I googled and found it. My SIL to be wants a mexican themed shower on her side of the family and they asked me to do the cake. She wants a sombrero cake, but I don't know how to do the rim....would I use something like posterboard to shape it them ice over? I'm afraid the icing would end up breaking off though if I did that. If I used fondant or gp, how would I shape it to look like the brim on a sombrero?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, and if anyone has pictures, please post! I'd love to see what else there is out there, there really wasn't much that I found. Thanks!

EDIT: I can't figure out how to attach a photo in the message, sorry! When I get it figured out I'll add it.....any suggestions otherwise?? THX!

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

You can use a rigid piece of plastic (I use the tuffboard cake boards) and mold it to the curved shape by heating it and bending it. When it cools off it will stay in the curved shape and you can cover it with fondant.

You could also use rice krispy treats and mold them into that shape, then cover them with melted chocolate to make the shape hold once the chocolate cools off.

jennicita Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 6

It sounds like you're doing just the sombrero as cake (no picture available yet), but if you're interested in doing something slightly different with a sombrero on top, Wilton's has this cute cake:

Lots of people here have done variations of it and the sombrero is easy to make (either as cake or hollow). I put hot cinnamon flavoring in the chilies and I think they all disappeared pretty quickly (of course that could have been my son...). icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

sweetcakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 6

i have large pasta bowls that would be perfect for drying a GP brim in. perhaps you have something similar. i did do one out of an 8" cake and just trimmed the sides at an angle. its in my pictures.

Callyssa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 6

My brain is drawing a blank on this! HOW would I use a bowl to make a sombrero brim? Would I cut the gp or fondant bigger than the bowl, press it into the bowl, then the excess would fall over the sides and create the brim? I'm so sorry I can't picture this!

Sweetcakes, your cakes are amazing! I do love your mexican themed cake, and I could do my sombrero like yours; I just always need a visual! I love the blanket also, I was planning to incorporate one of those too. I don't know if I can keep my hand steady enough to pipe all those straight lines though, yours is perfect.

I think I figured out how to get the picture here:

sweetcakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

my large pasta bowl is just that shape. i would roll out the gumpaste and line the bowl on the inside and let that dry, it would probably take a day or two, once it was dry i would use royal icing to to texture it, or unless you can texture the gumpaste before you put it in the bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%