Is There Such A Thing As Cake Wash?

Decorating By kendallsmom Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm by prterrell

kendallsmom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cube cake for my son with some etching on the fondant. I was wondering if there is some kind of glaze or wash that could go overthewhite and lightly color the whole thing while darkening the etching? Does this make sense and is it possible without melting the fondant? Could I use buttercream and still do it? Thanks for any tips.

2 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 3

Sure--take a piece of fondant and put some random etchings on it and practice on that piece of scrap. Get what you like and then apply to the cake.

Use food color, use lotsa different stuff. Blot it, spray it, paint it sponge it. I mean I would maybe go over the etching area more to darken it.

Buttercream? Try it maybe really loosened up--but maybe a confectioner's sugar glaze would work.

I mean it depends what you etched the cake with as to how it will grab.

I've experimented witht stuff and after painstakingly doing the artwork I've completley wiped it out experimenting-agh!!! So get some scraps to practice on. icon_biggrin.gif

I mean why not just pipe over it? What are you etching with?

prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 3

I saw on Ace of Cakes one time where they used airbrush color and rubbed it on the cake using paper towels. It started out as an accident when some of the airbrush color spilled on part of the cake that was supposed to be white, so they rubbed most of it off with the paper towel and it brought out the design they had done in that part of the fondant, so they ended up doing all the sides of that cake that way and it came out really neat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%