Urgent Help With Icing...

Decorating By buffim Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 2:05am by buffim

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hi
I'm doing a tea for my mother in law today and I thought I'd try some new recipes of icing and cupcakes. The icing I'm making is simply called 'fluffy icing' in my cookbook.

ingredients: 1 c sugar, 1/3 c water, 2 egg whites. It's supposed to be very fluffy and in the pictures it almost looks like meringue the way they are able to create peaks in it.

Well, mine doesn't create peaks. It slides off of the cupcake. Has anyone ever made this and know what I might have done wrong? or better yet, know how to fix it? or do I need to start over?

I thought I followed the directions to a T...but perhaps not! You melted the sugar on med heat and then boiled it for 5 minutes, then beat the eggs until soft peaks, the added the sugar/water in a steady stream into the eggs and then mixed for 10 minutes.

Thanks!

5 replies
butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 6

maybe you just need to beat it longer. sorry not much help here. if that doesn't work i would start over.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 6

I think i know what you mean, ive made 'fluffy' icicng, on an xmas cake. and just used very thick Royal icing. Ps and egg white. i applied it to the cake, as i would buttercream, then used my spatula, by placing it on the cake and 'flicking' it up, to create peaks etc

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 6

Were you using new or old egg whites? Old egg whites whip better.
Were you using cold (from the fridge) or room temp eggs? Egg whites should always be room temp when whipping them.
Wipe EVERYTHING down with white vinegar before whipping the egg whites - any trace of grease will cause them to loose structure.
Make sure the syrup is heated to 200-225 deg F.
I find that whipping the egg whites to stiff peaks before adding the syrup works best.
Add 1/8 tsp cream of tartar per egg white to the eggs before whipping.
Make sure you whip the icing for at least 7 minutes on high after adding in all the syrup. It should be stiff and shiny.
HTH!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 6

It sounds like they just need to be whipped longer.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

thanks for the help, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I try that recipe.

I did use new egg whites and cold from the fridge. I thought about cream of tartar, but we just moved so don't have any yet.

Does it affect things if the sugar gets hotter than the temperature you suggest?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%