Gumpaste Help Please! Mine Is As Hard As A Rock!

Decorating By Melnick Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm by Eisskween

Melnick Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 10

I just made some Wilton Gumpaste up. As I didn't want to use the whole tin, I quartered the amount and all the instructions. I added the water, kneeded, wrapped it, let it sit for 15 mins, gradually added the icing sugar and kneeded for ages - it is still really hard. It is like dough that is nearly dry. It has no pliability. Should I add some more water?

9 replies
Eisskween Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 10

Just like fondant, you can work in crisco a bit at a time and that should help with the pliability.

You could put it in the microwave in 5 sec intervals as well that would help, but be careful not to heat too long. I lost a bit of skin on my thumb once from doing that. Not pleasant.

Melnick Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for your help. I live in Australia so I'm not entirely sure what Chrisco is? I think we call it Copha? It is a hard white block? How do you mix that through and why would I mix that through rather than water? Sorry - just trying to understand the basics here so I can work out what to do in other situations. The microwave idea sounds easy enough ... can I overcook it?

peg818 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 10

crisco is a white vegetable fat. You can add a bit of water too, but the fat will give you a pliability that plain water won't it will also buy you some work time as your paste won't dry as fast as it would with out it.

Eisskween Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 10

Crisco is solid vegetable shortening, a white block of fat.

If you "overcook" the gumpaste, it can cause awful burns because then it becomes very soft and like melted plastic. It will stick to your skin and take some of it off, so be extremely careful with it. Just a few seconds at a time till it's softened enough to use.

You are very welcome. Feel free to PM me anytime! icon_biggrin.gif

Eisskween Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 10

PS Water will make it very sticky and very hard if not impossible to work with, the crisco makes it pliable.

Melnick Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks guys! Great explanations - one last question ... do I rub the vegetable fat in as a solid or do I have to melt it somehow first to add it to the gumpaste and do I need to add much of it? Thanks again!

Eisskween Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 10

Rub it in solid a bit at a time until the gumpaste is the desired texture to work with. Glad we could help! icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy your day!

Melnick Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much! You have a great day too! Your bubba is gorgeous by the way!

Eisskween Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you, she's my youngest granddaughter! She's definitely the happiest baby I have ever seen and her giggle can light up even the darkest room!

Let me know how you make out, and don't forget to post pics! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%