Why Are There So Many Different Versions Of...

Baking By chefjulie Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm by nickshalfpint

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:50am
post #1 of 8

Penny McConnell's sugar cookies published on the web? I swear, I've pulled up at least 4 different recipes! They all say they're straight from her, but each one is a little different (usually in the almond extract measurement).

I've been using the Texas Monthly version (which, I believe is posted on this site) and everyone loves it, but Im having a huge problem with it sticking thumbsdown.gif It even sticks to the d--n parchment paper Im rolling it out on!!

Am I doing something wrong? How can I fix this?!?! I roll between two sheets of parchment paper, and no matter what I do (even popping it in the freezer to harden for a few minutes) I cant stop the paper from sticking! (tried switching paper brands, too) I HATE not having a perfectly smooth surface, but I love the flavor of the cookies, so I really want it to work for me icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:54am
post #2 of 8

I didn't know there were different versions of her recipe out there. That's one of the things I don't like about people posting other people's recipes. They don't always get it right and Penny (or whomever) will be blamed.

I have the one she handed out at her class. She said to add more flour if you need to. If your dough is sticky, knead in flour a little at a time until it's easier to work with. It's a very forgiving recipe.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:38am
post #3 of 8

Who is Penny McConnell? I've never heard of her.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 8

Penny McConnell is a really sweet lady from Texas who owns a cookie business called Penny's Pastries and teaches classes. Her company did cookies for local businesses in Austin and all of the Starbucks in Texas as well as for an airline (Southwest, I think) to name just two of the big companies -- she no longer does this, she said it wasn't fun anymore. She gives seminars and taught at ICES conventions, too. She was also featured on Food Network's series "Best Of..." Her book is called Cookie Stories.:
http://www.cookiestories.com/

Her company just started producing gourmet cookie mixes.
http://pennyspastries.com/products.htm

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 8

Wow! Thanks!! I don't know how I missed that one! icon_rolleyes.gif Now I'm curious as to this recipe y'all are talking about... icon_biggrin.gif

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 8

Is there any way that you can post the recipe on here? Thank you!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 8

Here's the link to the one in the recipe section: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3993-Pennys-cookies.html

It's the same version that I've been using, but like I said, there are about 5 different versions floating around. I've had nothing but complements on the flavor of these cookies! With Toba's glace, they're really delicious!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 8

Honeydukes................... What does your recipe call for? I use the one from Texas monthly and I was wondering if yours was different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%