Red Velvet Cake Minus The Food Color

Baking By Deniro Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm by jennifer7777

Deniro Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:29am
post #1 of 7

I've never have made red velvet cake before and honestly don't ever remember ever having it either. Theirs been quite a few times I've decided to make it ,start gathering all the ingredients and realize I have no red food coloring. Would it affect the flavor if I leave it out? My recipes calls for if I can remember a couple of tbls. of cocoa powder. My batter would be a weird color right? Not a chocolate cake look but more of a light brown right. Another reason why I'm thinking of leaving it out is because I do'nt want the red dye taste. This cake would be for my consuption only just experimenting. Please help! I got the recipe off of Boby flay's food challenge! Does some one recommend a different one?

6 replies
Rendee Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:40am
post #2 of 7

the one from the Martha Stewart wedding cakes book today and her recipe calls for gel paste color instead of food coloring. I halfed the recipe and used hersheys special dark chocolate cocoa and didn't measure the gel paste. The cake looks like a chocolate cake, not really red? The taste was good. I would think it would just be a chocolate cake w/o the food coloring.

cuteums Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:50am
post #3 of 7

i use regular old liquid red from the supermarket and it doesn't affect the taste. It also won't alter the recipe. If you are really concerned add 1 or 2 oz more of water instead of the dye. It will be a light brown color, kind of a mocha (in color not taste)

prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 7

I always use a jar of Wilton no-taste red (the ONLY thing I use Wilton color for!) in my red velvet cake. You cannot taste the food color. However, you can absolutely make the cake without the color. I'd add half a tablespoon water to the recipe to make up for the moisture that the food color would have added to the batter.

Beth357 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 7

Some people use beets for red color instead of food coloring. Try adding 1-1/2 cup of peeled and puréed beets.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by Beth357

Some people use beets for red color instead of food coloring. Try adding 1-1/2 cup of peeled and puréed beets.

Do they still make baby food beets??? You could even cook it down a bit to remove some water if necessary.

Great idea, Bethy, welcome to Cake Central.

jennifer7777 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 7

Red velvet is one of my most popular flavors. I LOVE it! You cannot taste the food coloring, and I use liquid.
I have an easy, wonderful recipe that I can share with you.
PM me if you would like it, and be sure to leave your email.

P.S. Just want to stress that RV cake is a buttermilk cake, NOT a chocolate cake with red food coloring...just FYI...not particular reference to any comments thus far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%