Coloring Smbc Burgundy....too Much Is Not Enough?

Decorating By bakerfairy Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 1:21am by SimplySensational

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:34am
post #1 of 4

I am having some serious trouble getting a nice dark burgundy swiss meringue buttercream. I am using wilton burgundy gel color and it seems like I have to use a whole 1 oz. jar just to get 2 cups of icing the right color. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this normal? This feels like a LOT of food coloring!

3 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 4

meringue based buttercreams have a high fat content and are better colored with oil based colors for chocolate that a gel based color.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 4

Try switching to Americolor brand. Their colors are much more concentrated! Also, remember the color will darken. I have seen decorators color their burgundy too dark, it looked fine while they were putting it on the cake, but by the next day it looked black! When making dark colors, it's best to color the icing the day before. Often you will not need to add any extra color the next day as it will have darkened enough!

SimplySensational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensational Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 4

Take a look at my Burgandy Daisy Cake. To make this cake it took almost the whole Wilton Gel Color. I warned them that their teeth were going to change colors but she didn't care she really wanted the color. I was using a basic buttercream recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%