My Fondant Accents Dried Out! Help!

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 4:19am by Heatherly30

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #1 of 7

I made my fondant decorations early to get them out of the way. I wrapped them in saran wrap and put them in what I thought was an air tight container. I checked them tonight since I'll be decorating tomorrow and they're hard as a rock! I'm putting them on a cake iced in bc and I won't have time to make them all over again. Do I have any options? How would I adhere them to the cake since they're dry? Royal icing?

Please help...this is the first cake I will be paid for, and I've already screwed it up!

6 replies
wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 7

I am new to baking so this might be totaly wrong but....

I have read on another thread something about the law of everything balancing out. Meaning that if you put buttercream/moist cake in a container with something dry like fondant, the fondant would suck the moisture out of the buttercream/cake. The thread was talking about cakes becoming dry and messing up the fondant in the plastic cake carriers.

Point of my story could you do this on purpose and put a blob of icing with your dried out fondant on top of it in plastic cake carrier for a little while and see if the moisture will balance out.

Did that make any sense???? Good luck with your cake!!!!!

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 7

Yeah, fondant tends to dry out pretty easy, and quickly. How big or heavy are the decorations? Depending on their size, you may just be able to attach them just with some buttercream.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 7

What kind of Decorations did you make for your cake I make fondant flowers for my cake and I want them hardI just add butter cream to the bottom of my decoration and they stay on very well

Molly2

Heatherly30 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #5 of 7

The accents are small farm animals (not heavy at all). It's so late now that I guess I'll just let them be. I'll use a small amount of buttercream on the backs to make them stick. I guess I just have it in my mind that the accents should naturally curve with the cake. I guess this isn't necessarily true, right? Do you think they'll look alright if the edges of the accents are poking out a bit (not totally flush with the cake)?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 7

Once you attach them to your buttercream cake, they'll start to soften back up. It doesn't take that long, then you can coax the curve into them.

Heatherly30 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #7 of 7

AWESOME!! Thank you! I guess I got stressed and wooried over nothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%