Using A Mirror As A Cake Board

Decorating By m1m Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 7:12am by gerripje

m1m Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 7

Hello Cake Friends,

I'm thinking of using a mirror to put a 2 or even 3 tiered cake on for my son's cake. Would the mirror be stable enough to hold the weight of it, or would the weight cause it to break? I've used a mirror for a small cake, but nothing very heavy.

I was at Hobby Lobby today and they had beveled round and square mirrors on sale for 3.50 each.

Anyone have experience with this subject?

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakesdivine Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 7

At Christmas I had a 3 tiered cake that was on a cake board but they placed a large framed mirror on the table for me to place the cake on...it was fine! Looked great too! Totally cool effect.

m1m Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 7

Ok, great Cakesdivine! Thank you for the info.

I figured for 3.50, that's almost cheaper than the boards because I end up gluing at least two or sometimes three boards together with hot glue to get them to be strong enough!

I've heard of using the foam core, but frankly, I've been too lazy to try it.

Thanks again.

PinkZiab Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 7

If you're going to have to move the cake at all, place the mirror on top of a like-sized piece of wood or masonite for support. But if you can put the cake in place and leave it there, then a mirror alone will be fine.

evasmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

I'd advise great care when cutting and serving. You don't want some moron hacking off a sliver of mirror and putting shards into your cake!

m1m Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 7

Very good points, evasmama and PinkZiab!

gerripje Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:12am
post #7 of 7

I used a mirror for a 3 tier stacked wedding cake. Of course it didn't moved around a whole bunch and I had a thin piece of foam core underneath. It held up well and really looked quite nice, the lights ended up being reflected up on the cake. It was purely a fluke that it was in just the right position, but of course, I said, "oh I planned it that way"!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%