Storing Royal Icing

Baking By Lenette Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm by -Tubbs

Lenette Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 8

How do ya'll store royal icing to keep it from drying out?

I have a couple dozen cookies due tomorrow so I need to make some but I know I will have most of it left over and would like to use it next week when I have a BUNCH of cookies. Besides, I hate to waste ingredients. icon_wink.gif

So if there are any suggestions for effective storage I would appreciate it!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

I want to know too!!!!!

Giving you a bump icon_biggrin.gif

lindambc Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 8

I use Antonia74's royal icing recipe and just like it says in the recipe, it last for weeks in a air tight container and untinted RI freezes great! I have done this with other RI recipes and works just the same.

HTH

PistachioCranberry Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 8

I put mines in tupperware that hasn't been used for anything else but that, put saran wrap directly(touching) over the icing and the cover.

Classycakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 8

I freeze my leftover royal icing all the time. I wrap small portions in plastic wrapped tubes, put the tubes in a freezer bag and then take it out as I need it. I give it a little whip or stir and it's just fine.

I've used it like this for swiss dots, bead borders or simple scrolls. I haven't used it on my sugar cookies like this so I don't know if the freezing would affect the texture for that purpose.

I haven't found any noticeable difference once it has thawed. It doesn't get solid when it freezes, just gets hard like ice cream. Once it reaches room temperature and I refresh it with my mixer or spoon, it's just like new!

Just give it a try with a small amount to see if freezing works for you. It's worth a shot!

shiney Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 8

I was just wondering last night about freezing RI, and ta-dah here's the answer without my asking! What about Toba's Glace, could you freeze that?

CookieMeister Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

I put mines in tupperware that hasn't been used for anything else but that, put saran wrap directly(touching) over the icing and the cover.

This is what I do too.

Be sure to re-beat (is that a word? LOL) remix or whatever, the icing before using again. It tends to separate.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, I wish I'd known this months ago - would save sooo much time when only needing a tiny amount of RI.

BTW I try not to store in plastic containers since I read something about plastic doing something strange to the icing. I bought a bunch of stainless steel bowls from the $ store instead.

Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%