Storing Royal Icing

Baking By Lenette Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm by -Tubbs

Lenette  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 8

How do ya'll store royal icing to keep it from drying out?

I have a couple dozen cookies due tomorrow so I need to make some but I know I will have most of it left over and would like to use it next week when I have a BUNCH of cookies. Besides, I hate to waste ingredients. icon_wink.gif

So if there are any suggestions for effective storage I would appreciate it!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
 bizatchgirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:28am
post #2 of 8

I want to know too!!!!!

Giving you a bump icon_biggrin.gif

lindambc  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 8

I use Antonia74's royal icing recipe and just like it says in the recipe, it last for weeks in a air tight container and untinted RI freezes great! I have done this with other RI recipes and works just the same.

HTH

PistachioCranberry  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 8

I put mines in tupperware that hasn't been used for anything else but that, put saran wrap directly(touching) over the icing and the cover.

Classycakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 8

I freeze my leftover royal icing all the time. I wrap small portions in plastic wrapped tubes, put the tubes in a freezer bag and then take it out as I need it. I give it a little whip or stir and it's just fine.

I've used it like this for swiss dots, bead borders or simple scrolls. I haven't used it on my sugar cookies like this so I don't know if the freezing would affect the texture for that purpose.

I haven't found any noticeable difference once it has thawed. It doesn't get solid when it freezes, just gets hard like ice cream. Once it reaches room temperature and I refresh it with my mixer or spoon, it's just like new!

Just give it a try with a small amount to see if freezing works for you. It's worth a shot!

shiney  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 8

I was just wondering last night about freezing RI, and ta-dah here's the answer without my asking! What about Toba's Glace, could you freeze that?

CookieMeister  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

I put mines in tupperware that hasn't been used for anything else but that, put saran wrap directly(touching) over the icing and the cover.

This is what I do too.

Be sure to re-beat (is that a word? LOL) remix or whatever, the icing before using again. It tends to separate.

-Tubbs  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, I wish I'd known this months ago - would save sooo much time when only needing a tiny amount of RI.

BTW I try not to store in plastic containers since I read something about plastic doing something strange to the icing. I bought a bunch of stainless steel bowls from the $ store instead.

Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%