Cake Taste Testing?

Business By gd23 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm by dailey

gd23 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 14

Hi all,

I am a small business based at home and it is not feasible for me to continuously make cakes for taste testing...but all brides seem to want to taste the cake first...

is there a way i can say no politely, without losing the order?

13 replies
Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 14

I do this at home too....I just take the orders from the brides for the tasting and bake the cakes they want....I charge $25 or take a deposit for the order during the tasting.

I figure I can either use the leftover cake for a future tasting (if there is one coming up with the same flavor)....or sometimes if a cake has been in the freezer a few weeks I just pull it out, put some leftover icing and/or filling on it, and I have an automatic dessert for my family or for guests. With the $25 or deposit rule, at least I am not losing money with ingredients and am probably going to get an order from most brides.

gd23 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #3 of 14

yeah i guess thats right...its just such a hassle!

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 14

when i have left over batter i bake 6" rounds and freeze them, Then i have several flavors ready to go. I either use them for tastings or for my family or my hubby to take to work. I DO let the people know that this cake was frozen but their cake will NOT be

Kitagrl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 14

Yeah.

I only allow tastings from brides though...no party cake tastings!

tippyad Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 14

I use the WASC a ton. I broke the recipe down so I can get 6 6" cakes out of one batch. If you do this you can simply add the wet ingredients as need. Also if you want to make a few different flavors for the bride to try you won't be wasting $. Did that make sense? I think I confused myself!!! icon_confused.gif Well, not really, but PM me if you need more help or explanation.

Long story short, divide the recipe by 6.

And many buttercream recipes can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for quite a while.

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyad

I use the WASC a ton. I broke the recipe down so I can get 6 6" cakes out of one batch. If you do this you can simply add the wet ingredients as need. Also if you want to make a few different flavors for the bride to try you won't be wasting $. Did that make sense? I think I confused myself!!! icon_confused.gif Well, not really, but PM me if you need more help or explanation.

And many buttercream recipes can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for quite a while.

Tippyad,
I know that buttercrean can be frozen, but what about cake mix? If so, how long?

Thank You

something_sweet Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 14

I use my left over batter to make cupcakes and freeze them, and that is what I use for my tasting. I pull them out of the freezer and pop them in the oven for 10 minutes... Just like fresh baked! I let them try chocolate, yellow, and white. If they want something else, they have a pay for it. I figure 1/2 a cupcake per person for the tasting, so if 4 people come, I only put out 2 of each kind. Thay way they get to try more flavors, and I waste less cake!

something_sweet Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #9 of 14

Cake mix cannot be frozen. The baking powder in the mix will only activate for a short period after the batter is mixed, and will cause the cake not to rise properly if the mix is frozen. It is better to freeze cakes that are already baked.

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #10 of 14

I bake once for 9 appts. I bake an 8" square in white, choc and a 3rd flavor. Cut them in 9 squares (slightly less than 3x3"). Freeze them in a ziplok bag. An hour before a sampling, I pull one of each out of the freezer. They are thawed and read to go by the time the bride gets there.

Takes me less than 10 minutes to prep for a sampling.

luv2cook721 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #11 of 14

I was wondering about that too, thanks for the info.

tippyad Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyad

Tippyad,
I know that buttercrean can be frozen, but what about cake mix? If so, how long?

Thank You

cake batter can't be frozen, only baked cake can be frozen

cakelady15 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 14

I run my cake shop out of my house and I don't do a high volume right now so I have run into the same problem. I can't seem to freeze cake properly so I don't even bother with thaticon_smile.gif In order to still allow brides to sample cakes I offer them 2 6" round cakes of different flavors for $25.00. If they book with me then I deduct the $25.00 from the cost of their cake and if not then I got paid $25.00 for my ingredients. I have found that this also helps me weed out the people that are trying every bakery in town and probably aren't going to book with me anyways. I let them take the leftover cake home with them as I have no use for something that's already been cut and they seem to really like that because then they can let their parents or bridal party try the cake as well.

dailey Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 14

i recently started charging $10 for samples, if they book it goes toward their cake. i give them a 6 inch vanilla sour cream filled and iced with SMBC, then covered in fondant. $10 isn't *that* much that it will put off the brides *but* at the same time it keeps the ones away that just want free cake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%