Not Soo Sweet Buttercream?

Decorating By calivettie Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 2:29am by rocketmom1985

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a CRUSTING not too sweet buttercream? Does this exist?

I have been searching and finding different recipes that say they aren't overly sweet, but when I attempt the recipe it hurts my teeth! icon_biggrin.gif

So if anyone knows of a recipe, please share.... or maybe we as a community can come up with one!?! By we, I mean all you highly skilled and scrumptious decorators out there! icon_lol.gif

Yvette

7 replies
BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 8

Crusting buttercream that's not very sweet? icon_rolleyes.gif I hardly think there is one, however, I'm partial to the SMBC. Although it is not considered crusting, but placing the cake in the icebox (fridge) to hard up for about 15-20 minutes works for me.

I have heard that the SugarShack and Indey Debbie has very delicious crusting buttercream you could try. I have tried SugarShack buttercream, but will stick with my SMBC.

Hope this helps.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:25am
post #3 of 8

Another option is to use just a little salt. Just a little pinch will cut the sweetness. I actually use salted butter in my buttercream, I honestly think it helps.

Fact of the matter is, standard American buttercream is sweet by nature. It's fat and sugar, no way around it. But, in order to get the crust, that's really what you need to use.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks guys!

I guess it doesn't exist out there! Although, I will try using salted butter!

icon_smile.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 8

Salted butter helps...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 8

I'm sorry to inform you that the very nature of icing is to be sweet.

Adding about 1/2 teaspoon salt - in addition to using salted butter helps a bit.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 8

I highly recommend sugarshack's recipe. I just used it on the cake for my SIL's baby shower today and everyone loved it. The most common comment made was that it was sweet but not too sweet.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #8 of 8

I agree, sugarshacks is great...I have to stop myself from eating it with a spoon. I also love IndyDebi's and SeriousCakes...all good but deadly on my hip measurements...

Here is a recipe I have used a couple of times, and dh said it was a good but not too sweet "buttercream"

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-865-Moms-Buttercream-Frosting.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%