Have You Shipped Samples?

Business By ShopGrl1128 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm by ShopGrl1128

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hello friends:

I was wondering if any of you have shipped samples to a bride.

I have this customer who is planning her wedding long distance, the wedding will take place near my area, but she lives 4 hours away from me.

Would it be ok to send her couple of cupcakes via USPS? If so, how do I pack them?

I normally dont charge for tasting, but should I add the cost of the shipping to the cost of the cake?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

4 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:26am
post #2 of 5

There is a bakery near me that ships their BC separate from their cupcakes. I think this is a good way to avoid a total mess. I can't see how you can wrap and keep the cupcakes looking nice if they are iced. Maybe get small Gladware containers for your BC samples and then seal the cupcakes in Saran or use one of those sealers. I've shipped cookies USPS with lots of bubblewrap and they are fine. I'm sure your cupcakes will be too. I add the cost of shipping to the order, but since you don't charge for tasting, then I can't see charging for shipping, but that's totally your call.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry this will be a little long of an answer.

I have shipped cupcake samples from Vermont all the way to California overnight by FED EX. I wrapped the cupcakes individually in plastic wrap, then in a zipper bag. Placed the fillings, and frostings in the plastic cups with the lids each with a label, stating which filling and frosting flavors they were, and let them do what they would have done if they were sitting in my dining room. I sent 6 cupcakes 2 of each flavor. Packed so nothing moved in the box. I tracked the package every step of the way. They arrived the next day still all in one piece, and they were very happy. They had seen photos of my work, so they knew the designs would work. They called as soon as they received them, and booked right away. It cost around $75.00 but, it was well worth it. They did reimburse for the overnight shipping I must add, it was their request.

So it can be done, when I do a tasting here on location, I don't ice any cake/cupcakes, I give them several different samples and put individual spoons by each filling/frosting, and let them make what ever combos they want and we go from there.

Good luck,
donna

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:50am
post #4 of 5

Cupcakes (or minis) for tastings...what a great idea. thumbs_up.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you ladies!
Great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%