Super Red Luster Dust??? I Don't Think So...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm by butterfly831915

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 25

I bought super red luster dust the other day for the first time. I could tell it looked SUPER PINK. But, I thought it must turn red once you add the alchohol. It was still SUPER floresent pink. Looked that way as a powder and stayed that way. What the heck!!! Anyone ever use this before? What do you really use for red luster dust? thumbsdown.gif

24 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 25

Yikes! I make sure whatever I'm putting the red dust on, is already as red as I can get it. And the dust just highlights.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 25

LOL! It SHOULD be called SUPER PINK! LOL! It stinks! You do have to make sure the peice that you are painting is already red to get a red result.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 25

Same problem! I find the best thing for a real red is cranberry luster dust!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 25

Same here, my super red dust is definitely super pink.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 25

It is SUPER dumb! I think Cranberry and Garnet I think that gets a deep red. Even Raspberry is more red that SUPER RED (PINK)

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 25

The super red fondant that I colored a few weeks ago was beautiful. Super rich red red red! I cut it out with my lip shapped cookie cutter to put it on the lip shapped cookie. Beautiful! Looked sooo pretty! Now the red color is totally lost in the super floresent pearly pink. Pretty but not at All what I was going for! Still wondering if anyone has ever used it before. Still wondering what people use for super red? icon_mad.gif Where do they get off calling this super floresent pink, super red? icon_mad.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Same problem! I find the best thing for a real red is cranberry luster dust!

really??? i think the cranberry has a pink to it as well, still not red.

in the hundred or so pots of dust i've bought, red has been my biggest frustration and waste of money. (i have many PINKS though). i have found red red (as in dorothys ruby red slippers from the wizard of oz) GLITTER / disco dust, that i am happy with , but never a good red luster dust. the place i buy the glitter is:

H-420 classic red $4.25
http://www.europeancakegallery.us/pixiedust.html
http://www.europeancakegallery.us/

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #9 of 25

Same here; oredered "super red" and what I got was as pink as could be! I ended up putting in at least half a container of powdered red food coloring in my gumpaste, and then painting with "Cranberry Red".

weirkd Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #10 of 25

Yah, the cranberry by CK is red to me. Depends on what color red your going for though. I just got some of the new Crystal Colors from Global and the Stargazer is pretty red too.
But if Im doing something like a red rose, I airbrush it with red coloring and then use highlighters and deeper colors for a natural effect.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 25

I'm glad you mentioned the super red luster dust being super pink. I found that out the hard way Christmas '07 when I was making my ornament ball cupcakes. Is there a RED dust that gives shine that is not sparkly like the disco dust?

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 3:28am
post #12 of 25

I'm glad you mentioned the super red luster dust being super pink. I found that out the hard way Christmas '07 when I was making my ornament ball cupcakes. Is there a RED dust that gives shine that is not sparkly like the disco dust?

weirkd Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 10:58am
post #13 of 25

Im not aware of one but I did find a red color dust that is really red. One of them is stargazer that Global sells. I just ordered another red from Creative Cutters. When I get it I will let you know how it is. But I guess the best thing is if you want the shine afterwards is to put super luster dust on it.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:50am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

in the hundred or so pots of dust i've bought, red has been my biggest frustration and waste of money. (i have many PINKS though).

Agreed. I think I have every red in the kingdom of luster dusts and not one of them is just plain red. They're all pink, except for a couple that are orange.

icon_confused.gif

weirkd Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 25

Yep, got the "red" yesterday and it was definetly not red but orange looking. The closest to red is cranberry or raspberry luster dust. But I think for a true red go with a gel or airbrush and add super luster dust to it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #16 of 25

I have a color called ruby red (it's a petal dust but you can add soem super pearl to it) and it is red red. Just a thought. icon_biggrin.gif

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #17 of 25

I use pearl luster dust mixed with red food colouring and some vodka, you have to paint it on so I have only ever used it on small areas but it stays red.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 25

I have the same problem with red mmf or bc. It never looks really red. I can mix and mix all day long and it will be dark pink or what ever and if you use to much red coloring it gets a nasty taste (even if it is said to be no taste). I just say red is the cake decorators nightmare....

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #19 of 25

Agree...the Ruby Red is pink. I purchased it back in December for a wedding cake. I ended up using red fondant and purchasing Wilton's red pearl dust. It's still not super red, but it worked out well for what I was looking for...a red pearl.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 25

Hi girls! I recently made a cake for my niece which was posted in the bridal shower... I didn't have a real red, red fondant color but I bought this luster dust at a cake/baking supply store... rouge flambe. It really turned out a deep red. Hope this helps.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #21 of 25

OMG. I have never done a red fondant and that is what I have to have ready for sunday. NOW I am stressing. I better get busy testing huh? I bought ruby red and will let you know how it works out.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #22 of 25

Great....it is orangy.....I can't use orangy on the flag......

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #23 of 25

It could be a difference in the company it's made by. I have bought chocolate browns that were way too red before. I chalk it up to a difference in manufacturing. *shrug*

weirkd Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #24 of 25

the americolor red gel or airbrush is red for coloring fondant.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #25 of 25

I don't have an airbrush, wish I could afford one, but until I'm better at all this it will wait. I have to purchase americolor gel's online and just can't justify spending about 12 bucks on 1 oz of coloring, being just a hobby baker. Does the koolaid thing really help out any? I need to get on ebay and check the americolor's on there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%