Help! Fondant Figures But Don't Have Tylose Powder

Decorating By QueenOfSweets Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm by kakeladi

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 3

I have to make two fondant figures this weekend of Eeyore. I'm using the gallery photo of aine2's Eeyore figure as inspiration and only hope that I can make mine half as good as hers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=69331

I watched her videos today and learned that she uses fondant mixed with tylose powder.

The problem is that I have Satin Ice fondant but no tylose powder. I can't find it locally and there's not enough time to get it shipped to me. My question for those of you who make fondant figures is will I be okay using just straight fondant? I've used straight gumpaste but didn't like how quickly it dried and how it seemed to crack. Would a 50/50 fondant and gumpaste mixture be better? I can get Gum-tex if that would help? I have no clue how to do this if you can't tell! icon_eek.gif

I'm not worried about humidity since it's February, but I don't want my figures to crack or droop. I'll be making these on Saturday and will have one week for them to dry before I put them on the cake. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have!

2 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 3

I thin you will have better results using a 50/50 mix. If you use straight fondant, it is very soft which I find difficult to work with.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 3

If it isn't too late yes, Gum-Tex will help almost as good as Tylose.
I usually pinch off about a golf ball size piece of fondant and dip it into the GumTex several times and knead it well.

You mention the gp cracking - I have a feeling you are not kneading it enough. When ready it should feel like well chewed gumicon_smile.gif Soft, pliable, and smooth.
When I add GumTex is does dry quickly; almost as quick as gp. I use the GT because I had it on hand and no Tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%