Looking For Ingenious Ways To Make A Hockey Jersey Shape

Baking By -Tubbs Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 3:55am by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 12

A challenge, a quest, fair ladies and fine gentlemen!

I made a cutter for some hockey jerseys I'm doing for my friend, but I made it too big. The shape's great, but way too large (like, 5.5" when I need them to be 3"). I'm now out of metal strip, and don't have time to get more before next week.

Has anyone used another cutter to get this shape (you know how you can turn a heart upside down and it's a pair of boobs, that kind of thing). My spatial skills aren't that great, so I need some help!

Thanks!

11 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 12

The shape should be easy enough to cut with a knife. Make a template out of Plastic or cardboeard or print out a pic (or draw) in the size you need. The sides are all straight, so should be easy to cut with a knife

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 12

Use a rectangle and and either "cut off" the sleeves or include them by "folding" them. Take a look at these:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2159/2060246752_1a1a2f18c9.jpg
http://www.teamspiritwear.com/images/photos/hockeystadiumseatcushion.jpg
http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.fastframesandimas.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/webassets/HockeyJersey.jpg&target=tlx_picxxci

You could also do a round cookie this way. Take a circle and set it over a picture of your jersey. You'll have maybe a "V-neck" and logo it it. I hope this makes sense. All you really need are the jersey color for background, name and number.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for these replies. I didn't get notified for some reason.

I know she really wants the shirt shape, so I expect I'll handcut with a template (there are only 20 to do).

Thanks for your help.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 12

If you cut out squares the size of the "jersey" then use a circle cutter and cut a half circle for the neck and use the square cutter again along the sides to cut out an upsidedown "L" shape to form the arms and sides, that should give you a cleaner cut, and resemble a jersey. I know this seems complicated, but it should go faster than cutting around a template.

sheena16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena16 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 12

I did NYC cookies that were a t-shirt with the I "heart" NY. I used a onesie cutter and just cut off the bottom. You can see a picture of them in my picture gallery. I don't like the hand cut cookies at least I don't like mine. They always look rough around the edges no matter what I use or how sharp the knife is.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

If you cut out squares the size of the "jersey" then use a circle cutter and cut a half circle for the neck and use the square cutter again along the sides to cut out an upsidedown "L" shape to form the arms and sides, that should give you a cleaner cut, and resemble a jersey. I know this seems complicated, but it should go faster than cutting around a template.

Perfect! I did exactly this, plus used an oval to shape the shoulders a little. It worked really well. Thanks for the ideas, everyone. You're fab!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

Perfect! I did exactly this, plus used an oval to shape the shoulders a little. It worked really well. Thanks for the ideas, everyone. You're fab!

Pictures please! icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="cookiemanPictures please! icon_smile.gif[/quote]
Yeah, yeah. Once they're decorated. thumbs_up.gif

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

[quote="cookiemanPictures please! icon_smile.gif

Yeah, yeah. Once they're decorated. thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

OK...I'll wait. But it's two of my favorite topics: cookies and hockey! thumbs_up.gif

-Tubbs Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:54am
post #11 of 12

Ok, Cookieman - here you go. They turned out ok. I hope you can tell what they are - my 8 yo thought it was a calendar!!
LL

-Tubbs Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #12 of 12

That didn't come out very well, did it? Try again with the smaller pic.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%