Help W/buttercream Icing

Decorating By crazygravy Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm by prterrell

crazygravy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! I am a long time lurker/stalker...I just wanted to see if you guys could help me with something. I've been so inspired by all of you that I've decided to enroll in a Wilton cake decorating class. It's pretty much the only thing available where I'm from. I went to my first class last weekend and was sent home to make Wilton Buttercream icing and a cake for this week. The cake for this week was no problem but as soon as I made and tasted the buttercream icing I almost immediately threw up. I do like buttercream but I've never really made it. I think it may be all the CRISCO that I used. Do you guys have just a regular old crusting buttercream that you could share with me for this class?
THanks in advance..

By the way, you guys ROCK!!!

10 replies
Cherie206 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 11

Hi! I remember my first class icon_smile.gif Try using 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco or 3/4 Crisco 1/4 butter. It will definately taste better. Also I use only REAL vanilla - I do not like that clear vanilla Wilton tells you to use.

Good luck - let me know how that works for you!

flourgirlz Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 11

I use the Wilton buttercream for pure white icing recipe. You omit the butter, substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening and add 1/2 tsp no color butter flavor. I do use the Wilton clear vanilla and it is the best buttercream I have ever had! Hope this helps!! icon_smile.gif

crazygravy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks. I will play around with it as soon as I get home and let you guys know how it turns out. Anything will be better than what I made last. The recipe called for 3 cups of crisco and NO butter. EWWW. I will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

JaimeAnn Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 11

I use 1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco (the one in the stick packaging)
1/2 cup butter, 1 tsp real vanilla, (you can use the clear vanilla I just don't like it) 4 cups confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream.

if I am piping or decorating I add a little corn syrup.

sweetjan Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 11

Over a year ago I did what you're doing now, and I promise it will only get more and more fun and addicting!! I will recommend that you order Sugarshack's DVD, 'Perfecting the Art of Buttercream Icing' so that you start out learning great habits and tricks that will help you enjoy this even more. I wish I had it when I started learning, but it haven't even been produced yet. Wilton classes are great fun and really, really teach a lot, but it's not possible to teach every little trick in those short times.
Keep having fun!! Best Wishes

kakeladi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #7 of 11

........as soon as I made and tasted the buttercream icing I almost immediately threw up......

As a former Wilton instructor I recommend strongly that you use that recipe & only that one *in class*. Your teacher knows how it is suppose to work/handle. When you come into class w/something else she/he may not be able to help if some technique does not work for you.

As for icing the cake so you can eat it.......o.k. go ahead & use the 1/2 butter/half Crisco. The instructor probably won't know the differenceicon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........as soon as I made and tasted the buttercream icing I almost immediately threw up......

As a former Wilton instructor I recommend strongly that you use that recipe & only that one *in class*. Your teacher knows how it is suppose to work/handle. When you come into class w/something else she/he may not be able to help if some technique does not work for you.

I was just getting ready to share that I'd read that advice on here! thumbs_up.gif

I luv the taste of my icing, and it crusts well, holds up in heat and humidity. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

dsevans Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #9 of 11

I NEVER use crisco for my buttercream I always use pure sweetcream butter, I have never had any complaints with the icing not being pure white, probably because it tastes so much better, but when i do want a white white icing i use the white food coloring, although now i havean airbrush machine and just spray the white on.

crazygravy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 11

thank you all so much. i'm determined to find an icing I like. I will try all until I am comfortable. I think I'll use the wilton double recipe for the class just to be sure.

prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 11

Stick with the class buttercream for the class. Once you've finished the class and are much more comfortable with the basic techniques, you can branch out and expirement with different recipes. I strongly encourage you to try making Italian Meringue Buttercream as one of your first "expirements". You'll be blown away at how much better it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%