Pricing Help For Fondant Cupcake Toppers

Business By FullHouse Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 12:30pm by FullHouse

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 11

I have a quote request for a dozen cupcakes, with a fondant sculpted teddy bear topper on each one. Any ideas on what to charge for this? I'd like to provide a break down in case she decides to reduce the number of toppers (i.e. $1.50 per buttercream cupcake $xx per topper). Thanks.

10 replies
FullHouse Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 11

How long will it take you to make each topper?

FullHouse Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #4 of 11

My guess-timate is it would take me 10-15 min per topper not including time for coloring and making the fondant, but I've only been doing this for 10 months so I may be slower than the more experienced decorator.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 11

Geez, I couldn't make a teddy bear topper that fast . . .

Anyway, I'd charge $8 per cupcake.

But I wouldn't want the order, either.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #6 of 11

Yeah, I'd say $5/ea just for the toppers.

FullHouse Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 11

Wow, Kelley and Leahs, thanks so much!!! I may be under estimating my time, but I did frog toppers for my niece and once I got started and had an assembly line of frogs going, I was probably at around 15 min.

I plugged some various #'s into CakeBoss and even my cost would be over $20. I was just having a hard time with the idea of quoting her even $60 for a dozen, but when I thought about the time involved I realized $2.50 per topper would barely be worth it for me. Now I'll quote based on your advice and if that is too much suggest 1 topper for the birthday girl and sprinkles or flowers for the rest. Thanks again!!!!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #8 of 11

I get $3.25 for a regular ol' cupcake and $20 for extra labor, so if each bear takes you 15 minutes, that's $60 for labor plus $39 for the cupcakes...$99.00, and I am in Chapel Hill, so my market can't be that different.

FullHouse Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:15am
post #9 of 11

Thanks, Txkat. Do you get many orders for cupcakes with a topper on each one? I'm just wondering if I'm going to shock this lady icon_smile.gif.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:51am
post #10 of 11

We do a lot for children's parties. I do give a discount for 2 dozen or more ($30 a dozen for the pain old cupcake) So it ends up in the $200-$230 area for 3 dozen plus a six inch smash cake. We've done pirates, dinosaurs, teddy bears and all the different ACC mascots.

FullHouse Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all!!! You were a huge help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%