How Do I Freeze A Cake To Use In The Future?

Decorating By LearningHowToBake Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm by j-pal

LearningHowToBake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a baby shower cake and cupcakes for my best friends shower.

I am making a belly cake and a cupcake stand filled with cupcakes. I plan on making around 30 cupcakes. I just wanted to know how I could make these cakes and cupcakes in advance, so that I am not in the kitchen from Saturday to Sunday with no sleep. My aunt told me she freezes her, in freezing paper. What is freezing paper? Does she mean saran wrap? How do you freeze them? Also, if I freeze them and want to take them out and decorate them on Saturday, will they be okay sitting out until Sunday? I don't have tupperware to store a cake that big or 30 cupcakes. If I cover the cake in the fondant, will it be okay sitting out about 20 hours? I could always thaw the cupcakes on Saturday and frost them Sunday morning before the shower, if I had to. It will just be chaotic and I have a lot of other things to help with! Help me! I don't want to the cupcakes or cake yucky!
LL
LL

3 replies
kkitchen Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 4

Those are beautiful cakes. When I freeze my cakes I have a huuge container that they sell at walmart -rubbermaid tub - comes with a cover. And what I do I wrap my cakes in many layers of saran wrap and put then in there. For the CC - I would suggest that you place them in the huge ziploc freezer bags and you can lightly wrap some saran wrap around them. Before you decorate them, allow them to defrost in the cooler - like overnight. I do not see why they can't stay out overnight.... EXCEPT if you are using an icing or filling that needs to be refrigerated.

HTH

Wildkatzcakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 4

Definitely make sure you wrap the cupcakes in saran wrap BEFORE putting them in the ziploc...they will stick...bad lesson bad bad lesson....

j-pal Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 4

Once your cake is iced, it shouldn't need to be wrapped or covered to keep it from drying out. The icing usually takes care of that. You should box it, though, to keep it dust free. I freeze my cupcakes by putting them on a paper plate, put a sheet of saran wrap over (I don't wrap - just cover) and then put the plate in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze. I pull them out a few hours before I need them (they thaw quickly) and decorate. Because you're decorating them with swirls of icing, you really don't even need to wait until they're thawed. In fact, throwing a swirl of icing on it while frozen, may even help keep some of that moisture in the cupcake. I, personally, would do the cupcakes the last possible minute. They WILL dry out faster than cake because the paper wrapper won't protect them for long. If you have a tupperware or any lidded thing to put them it, that will help. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%