Dairy Free Cake

Decorating By janbabe Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 4:32am by SpringFlour

janbabe Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 10

I've had a request for a birthday cake but the litle boy (1 year) has a dairy intolerance. He can have eggs, but no milk at all.

Anyone know of a good dairy free cake recipe? It can have eggs, but no butter.
I'm putting jam filling, and fondant on top (believe fondant is ok)?

Seen a couple of recipes but thought some of you might know of some. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
ruthi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 10

I make all of my cakes non-dairy for kosher reasons. I substitute non-dairy margarine for the butter in recipes that I like....I'm sure some are cringing, but it works for me and my requirements and I've never had a complaint about my cakes' taste.

jeepgirl9478 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 10

My daughter has a milk allergy too and we have been trying different things because her birthday is March 3rd. So far she seems to like the Yellow Duncan Hines out of the box cake the best. She also really likes the clevercakelady's buttercream http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4193-32-CleverCakeLadys-Buttercream-allergy-wise.html

I have found that she is having a hard time eating MMF but yes your basic MMF recipe would be fine. I just want to warn you milk has weird names and it is in things you would never think it would be in so make sure you read everything. Here is a list of names meaning contains milk..

What items on a food label contain milk?
These ingredients contain milk:
Milk Solids
Calcium Caseinate
Non-Fat Milk Solids
Sodium Caseinate
Buttermilk Solids
Chocolate (may contain milk solids)
Half & Half
Whey Solids
Milk Chocolate
Malted Milk

Hope that helps!

janbabe Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks helpful hints.

I did wonder about making a fatless cake, but think i will get the dairy free margarine to have some fat in the cake but flavour it with vanilla.

He can eat eggs so I guess fondant will be ok.

chanielisalevy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 10

Just like ruthi replied, I also bake only strictly kosher and do not use milk products (they are kosher unto themselves but in baking can be problematic due to the prohibition of mixing meat and dairy and who knows when the cake will be served) anyway, I also use margarine or oil instead of butter. I replace milk with either water, orange juice, soy milk or rice milk - with excellent results. I use any recipes I see that call for butter or milk but tend to stay away from those calling for sour cream or cream cheese as the substitutions are inadequate.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

PattyT Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:53am
post #6 of 10

I bake for two friends with dairy allergies - so I bought the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World cookbook. It's written very well with lots of tips and hints from the authors. They list products you can use, and include substitutes if necessary. You mentioned that you can use eggs, but with the recipes being all vegan you don't even use those.

The first thing I made were the vanilla and chocolate cupcakes and frosting and they were GREAT. It took them to my friend and she was so thrilled how good they were. I even took them to a family dinner - didn't say a thing - just told them I was trying a new recipe and what did they think, and they loved them. They were shocked when I told them the "secret".

However...I did just do the cupcakes, so I'm not sure if the recipes would translate up to a full size cake. But I was very pleased with my initial experiment.

HTH - Pat

FullMoonRanch Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

My DD is allergic to dairy. I have made a chocolate cake using this recipe (which is also egg-free):

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup dairy-free cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups water
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbs distilled white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Many margarines I've looked at still contain some kind of dairy. Willow Run is the only truely dairy free one I have found where I live.
Good luck!

kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #8 of 10

I'm vegan, and all I do for milk substitute is either soy or rice milk (incase there's a soy allergy.) I've even tried hazelnut milk which is fantastic. icon_smile.gif

Earth Balance is a terrific soy marg. that is non-hydrogenated. Major grocery stores are now carrying it in most places in health food section or reg dairy case.

PETA has a complete list of all animal derived ingredients (including hidden dairy ingredients marked "non-dairy").
I'd be happy to attach it if it would help. icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:28am
post #9 of 10

I had to make a cake like this once and I used Lactaid in place of the milk. It was delicious. The customer really love it.

SpringFlour Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #10 of 10

I've had to adapt NFSC to be dairy-free because 2 kids in my son's class are allergic to dairy. I substitute Nucoa margarine for the butter. It's the only margarine stick I could find that is truly dairy free.

Many of the other magarines didn't specifically state that there were dairy ingredients in the ingredient list, but had the phrase: Contains milk ingredients.

The cookies turn out great and I don't notice any difference in the texture or flavor of the cookie. I would imagine you could use it in cakes will no ill effects.

Quote by @%username% on %date%