Wholesale Vs. Retail

Business By Dizzymaiden Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm by classiccake

Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 5

I was excited to go and get legal...first stop Massachusetts dept. of public health. MA allows residents to operate home-based business to sell low-risk foods (includes cakes but not cheesecake).

Anyway - I was faced with the question; is this for retail or wholesale? huh icon_confused.gif

This opened a whole new can of worms ...am I crazy to think I can sell not only to direct customers but resturants, farmers markets, etc.?

Dare to dream????

4 replies
dreamcakesmom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 5

I did it. I made the decision to turn my hobby to a legit business but am a little overwhelmed by the daqunting task of where to start. Looking for people in MAssachusetts who work out of their home or have a small cake business and can offer advice for good priced ingredients, cake supply stores, etc. I will take any advice you can give!!!

Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in MA and I sell retail only. I knew it was part time for me and I really didn't want to get into the mass production of baked goods from home.

ksouz I'm not sure what part of MA you're from, I'm in Southeastern MA, closer to the Providence, RI area. There is a great baker's supply in Lincoln, RI called J A R Baker's supply. They sell everything from decorating supplies, Satin Ice Fondant, gumpaste flowers, pans, fillings, gluten free products, hi-ratio shortening (50lbs for $3icon_cool.gif, boxes, boards, etc. They are only open Mon - Fri from 9 to 3 I get most of my supplies there, the rest I get from BJ's and some extracts I order on-line.

dreamcakesmom Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 5

DKelly- What a coincidence I am in the same area!!! We are probablky neighbors and much like you I am only interested in retail as this is a menas to stay home with my children in the hopes that I can go back to schoolf for pastry arts in the fall while also trying to grow my business. I have been using BJ's as well but will look into the supply store in Lincoln. Thanks for the great feedback. How long have you been doing this?

classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

Wholesale usually means more volume for less $$. So you need space and larger equipment to pump out product. You will have to judge if you can do that kind of work or not.

Also, when you sell to restaurants you are at their mercy as to when you get paid. It is often 6 weeks before you receive your "paycheck." Can you float the cost until you are paid?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%