Business/financial Professionals

Business By MichelleM77 Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 5:26am by MichelleM77

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 7

How did you find your tax/business counselor/accounting/CPA person? Did you look specifically for one that knows about food businesses, referral from a friend, yellow pages, etc.?

I'm looking for someone that can go over my things and make sure I'm doing it all correctly, maybe a one time thing. I don't have any employees and my sales are pretty small at this point, so I don't need major help, just to double check what I've already done.

Any suggestions?

6 replies
SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #2 of 7

None, but I need that person, too! Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:30am
post #3 of 7

The guy who does my taxes, I found on Dave Ramsey's website under his ELP referrals.

Payroll is done by a lady I met in my BNI (Business Network Referral) group. Referral business is best! thumbs_up.gif

Monday, I have an appointment with a lady to interview about doing my bookkeeping. I may move my payroll to her also. I found her because she mailed a postcard advertisement to me (I believe she did a mass mailing to the local Chamber's mailing address).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 7

I have hired two different people to help me (teach me) do my Quickbooks accounting. I went into Quickbooks and found local people both times.

The first lady was nothing more than a highgpriced data entry person/fiasco mess that I regret with every fiber of my being ever hiring.

The second lady was wonderful. But boy was I direct and succinct making the deal with her. Kinda pissed her off but ultimately she understood.

I can contact her with any future issues, like big yearly taxes and our business licensing is weird based on sales etc. so I'll need her for that too. But I file our sales & use tax quarterly.

Alll of that to say--these women charge for travel time--I'm talking $125 an hour pro-rated to 15 20 minute drive over and back. icon_biggrin.gif Plus the $125 an hour anyway. Shoulda been an accountant!

So nail down the money thing really well before you start.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Alll of that to say--these women charge for travel time--I'm talking $125 an hour pro-rated to 15 20 minute drive over and back. icon_biggrin.gif Plus the $125 an hour anyway. Shoulda been an accountant!

I knew a lady who had a business doing newsletters, brochures and other print/news things for small businesses who didn't have an in-house dept to do those things. A company I worked for hired her. I came back from lunch one day and it looks like she's asleep in her convertible. Turns out she sun-bathing. She had an appt with our Marketing V.P. He wasn't there, so she was catching some sun waiting for him. She told me she was charging him for her time. "I'm here ready for our meeting ... he's the one making me wait!"

So she was getting paid to sunbathe in our parking lot!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I knew a lady who had a business doing newsletters, brochures and other print/news things for small businesses who didn't have an in-house dept to do those things. A company I worked for hired her. I came back from lunch one day and it looks like she's asleep in her convertible. Turns out she sun-bathing. She had an appt with our Marketing V.P. He wasn't there, so she was catching some sun waiting for him. She told me she was charging him for her time. "I'm here ready for our meeting ... he's the one making me wait!"

So she was getting paid to sunbathe in our parking lot!

Yeah I'm totally in the wrong business. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:26am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

The guy who does my taxes, I found on Dave Ramsey's website under his ELP referrals

Funny you should say that. I did that right after I posted! Great minds think alike. He called me less than two hours after I requested his info! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%