Cream Cheese Buttercream - Decorating For Dummies?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 2:17am by kjt

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 11

Good afternoon all...
I'm looking for advice and suggestions. I'm very much a beginner, I've gotten a few successful fondant cakes under my belt (yayyy!). I'm definately hooked.

I need to make a birthday for someone I work with. She asked for strawberries and cream cheese. I've decided on a strawberry flavored cake with a cream cheese buttercream.

I have never tried to decorate with BC before, only with fondant. My question is... what are some easy 'beginner' decorating ideas that will make me look like I know what the heck I'm doing? I need to have this done by Tuesday, and not sure if that's enough time to learn the traditional shells and roses. I want a pretty cake that will be forgiving of me as a beginner.

Any thoughts?

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 11

Here's all the info (including recipes) I have on cream cheese frosting:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-615264-.html

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 11

The shell border is fairly easy. You should be able to master it in the time you have with no problem. Drop flowers are also very pretty and are insanely simple to make.

chilz822 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:04am
post #4 of 11

Wow, thank you all for the info! I think I'm going to play it safe and make the strawberry cake, cream cheese frosting, surrounded by Pirouettes and topped with strawberries. I saw some pics in the galleries and they were very nice... and look super-simple but impressive!

Jan, you are an amazing database! Your links have helped me more times than I can tell you!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 11

chilz...I absolutely LOVE your avatar...that might just be the cutest dog I've ever seen. Can I ask its name?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 11

Chilz..Here is a video doing 10 of the basic borders with one tip! Get a bag of icing and plop in front of your computer. You'll be a pro by the weekend! Have fun! Deb [url]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfbJI7QdJ0o&feature=related[/url]

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks ddaigle.

chilz822 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 11

Flourpots, thanks for the compliment. That's one of my 4-legged children. Buddy is definately a camera-ham. The only dog I've ever known that would stop, pose, and smile when he sees a camera and when the flash goes off, will go on about what he was doing! It's cute and kinda weird at the same time icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle, thanks so much for the link, guess I have my Sunday project now!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 11

That's adorable, LOL...what a cutie-pie.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #10 of 11

I must be tired...I read the subject line and thought "why on earth would you want to put cream cheese icing on a cake dummy, what a waste"
icon_biggrin.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I must be tired...I read the subject line and thought "why on earth would you want to put cream cheese icing on a cake dummy, what a waste"
icon_biggrin.gif

This made me laugh out loud! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%